Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Maintenance

hotgrillharry
hotgrillharry Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had an regularly used my egg for over three years now. Is there any periodic special cleaning or maintenance I should be doing? Thanks!

Comments

• BR-549
    BR-549 Posts: 48
    make sure the bolts on the bands are tight, and if it sits on a nest, check those bolts too. Check gasket, and calibrate the thermometer. Maybe give it a thorough cleaning from ash, and give everything a visual inpection. Think that's about it.
  • My egg will be 14 years old this spring.

I did that just this week. Mine sits out outside uncovered. I put it in a new nest the boys got me for christmas. Wheeled it in garage, I took the band off, and wire brushed the lip underneath and and tiny rust spots on inside. Spray painted band with rustoleom, put on a new nomex gasket, Re caulked the draft door (I have yet to find a product that last longer than a year) Tried plain ole silicone this time. Put on new mate shelfs. Shes the bell of the ball again. Have a photo of her all cleaned up will try to post. Ordered a new grate and dfmt, as my daisy is 14 and needs to retire.

Ive made it a yearly ritual the last few years. Swaping out bands, new ss door, grates etc.

Matt
    www.finandflame.com

www.oldfishinglure.com
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    best maintenance is to keep cooking on it. :laugh: is there something that needs addressing like a loose band, tightening the band occassionally is a good thing but if your not experiencing any problems after three years it shouldnt be a big thing
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • There are no problems and all is working well. Do you ever clean the buildup on the inside of the dome itself?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    iv it gets flaky a rolled up ball of tinfoil and rub it off. on of my eggs mainly does low and slows and the grease rally builds up, high temp burn to clean but it will ruin your gasket if you still have one, i dont so no problems bringing the temps way up for me
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • No..You can always do a dry run. Start a fire Open it and let her role... she will clean and burn most everything out. Pull out your firebox and clean where you normally cant reach.
    www.finandflame.com

www.oldfishinglure.com
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Yes, it should be processionally cleaned inside and out using a reputable company. Make sure they put at least three coats of wax on the outside and buff to high gloss. :blush:
  • You do that, too? I thought I was the only one.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i am on six or seven years. i will let you know what i do to it when i do it. nothing so far ;)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • My idea is a good long 500+ degree burn... makes most of the inerts of the egg all nice and white.... I made a bunch of pizzas and it did the trick...