Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It feels as though we’ve waited forever for college football to start, and finally the wait is over! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are sure to become fan favorites. As an added bonus, the day before Labor Day is National Bacon Day and we don’t know about you, but we like putting bacon on anything and everything, so we’ll definitely be celebrating that. It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Whole Pig on Large BGE...

buckeyeggerbuckeyegger Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For the Ohio State-Arkansas game, we decided to go through with cooking a whole pig on the large BGE. Here are the details.

Living in the Atlanta area, we purchased a 28lb suckling pig from a meat market just south of the city. He was solidly frozen when purchased and was allowed to thaw out for two days in a cooler. The night before I curled him around in order to fit him on the BGE. He barely fit and the egg was literally scraping his back as it closed. After being fully cooked, he had lost a lot of size and could be maneuevered.

pig4.jpg

We started the process the night before with the defrosted pig. First, I rubbed the pig all over with kosher salt. Second, I put the pig in a small kitchen garbage bag and marinated him overnight. Marinade consisted of:
2 Cups Olive Oil
2 Cups White Wine
2 Tbsp Each Garlic Powder, Black Pepper, Paprika, and Cumin.

The next morning he went on the egg set up for indirect heat at around 5am. I covered the ears and snout with aluminum foil. I used lump charcoal and a combination of cherry and apple wood chips. The pig than cooked at between 200-225 degrees until he was taken off at about 7pm. I sprayed him every hour or so with a half and half mixture of apple juice and cider vinegar. I flipped him over one time for the last two hours of cooking.

The skin was crispy. We then started by cutting the head off, peeling back the skin, and tearing the meat off by hand. The meat was tender, delicious, and some of the best pork you can ever eat. With the 28lb pig, we served about 12 people and had plenty left over. Here are some pics. Feel free to shoot any questions my way. I would have to say my first go at it was a pretty good success.

pig1.jpg

pig2.jpg

DSC_0345NEF.jpg

Comments