Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My big spatchcocking tool

TheDirtyBurger
TheDirtyBurger Posts: 846
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For the first few birds I spatchcocked I used kitchen shears. Then I almost broke the plastic handles so I looked for another device. I had seen people using tin snips and things like that. I went out and got a pair (not pictured), wasn't big enough, so I got another (left), it was ok but not what I was looking for. Well the other day at Home Depot they had these Husky 9.5 inch utility scissors (right). They were $5 so I figured what the hell. Man they are perfect. Cut right through 2 backs and they were a lot easier to clean then the other 2. Highly recommended. Strangely though they are not listed on the HD website!

IMG_20110108_184641.jpg

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Thanks for the heads up! HD is a 60 mile drive for me but will definitely have to look for them next time I make a road trip to Manhattan,KS.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    We have one local.
    I will pick you up a pair if they are in stock.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    El Dirty,

I use the long nose Wiss aviation snips. Just spray with some oil when they come out of the dishwasher. Could spatchcock an emu with them. B)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    I once accidentally had a bit part in a movie by that name.

...a very small part. :blush:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I just use a big chef's knife. A sharp knife will run right down the backbone on either side and cut it right out.

But I'm a big fan of Alton's "no unitasker" rule in the kitchen.
  • I am Irish, I was in the even smaller release prequel.
  • loco_engr
    Thanks for the offer, but I need to make the trip to try to find some different vinyl fence panel brackets
    and HD might have them. Ya know it is a real PITA when the flimsy mtg brackets all crack and break to allow the entire fence panel to fall down! :( :sick:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • loco_engr
    Any pics from the "activities" from today? :ermm:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    hahahaha
    :laugh:

hell, i'm english/german.

i always blame it on how cold the north sea is.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    You are Irish? When you said you were a South Sider from Chicago I thought maybe you were Polish! You familiar with 55th & Kedzie? - I spent 10 years of my working career reporting to Talman-Home located there - we called it one of Chicago's tallest high rises, but laying on its side! You could get winded walking from one end to the other! :laugh:
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Except for the fire extinguisher!
  • I bought three of these. Gave two away as Christmas presents. You are correct they work great on chicken!
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Almost lost my drink on that one! :laugh:
  • I use game shears, and I like the Gerber type that comes apart for cleaning. They are designed for cutting up birds, so I figure that was perfect. About $10 on Cabelas.com. I do like the look of those big handles though.
  • Ron I live 55 blocks south of where you worked. I am Irish to the bone: bad in bed, bad with liquor, and bad in the sun. The trifecta!
  • Fidel
    I totally agree with you on the unitasker thing but I am kind of a goof ball so I do not trust myself enough to do the spatchcocking with a knife. I can barely carve a turkey with out slicing into my thumb (I was drunk but still).

I actually plan to use them for more then just spatchcocking. Anything I buy in that pain in the ass plastic is going to get dealt with by these scissors. I also plan to use them to help solidify my role as the south side of Chicago's go to moyel.
  • TheDirtyBurger wrote:
    Fidel
    I can barely carve a turkey with out slicing into my thumb ... I also plan to use them to help solidify my role as the south side of Chicago's go to moyel.

Does not compute.