Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Overnight Cook - Huge Hunk o'Beef

srq2625
srq2625 Posts: 262
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I called the GLOB (Great Lump of Beef). They (CostCo) called it an 18 pound Beef Whole Round Tip. I figured it would be full of connective tissue (it was) and lots of fat (not so much).

Rub on Thursday afternoon. Sat in the fridge over-night.

Started the LBGE warming up around 3:00PM. Got the meat on at 4:00PM.

Setup was (working from bottom up), Wicked Good Weekend Warrior charcoal, a bunch of hickory chunks for smoke, the plate setter (feet up), a drip pan wrapped in HDAF on top of the BGE feet to keep it off the plate setter, the grill, and the meat.

Note: Naked Whiz did a review of the hickory chunks HERE. It was based on his review that I even considered buying it. Turned out to be a winner!

Cooked at 225°F until about 8:00 this morning (16 hours), then bumped it up to 250°F and, at around 10:30, bumped it again to 275°F; the bumps because we had places to go and didn't want wait all day for it to finish. Pulled it when internal was 190°F at around 11:30am (total of 19.5 hours). Double wrapped in foil and then a heavy towel and placed in a cooler to rest.

Came back home 2.5 hours later and pulled it apart. It was great. Bark had great flavor and not too much smoke - even for the DW who has a lower tolerance for the smoke flavor.

Lesson learned - should have come off about 2°F sooner - it's just a touch dry.

Here are a couple or three piccies

The RAW GLOB :)
1150530251_zPFqk-M.jpg

The meteor, after it came off the grill, now weighing only 7 pounds, 11 oz - that's a 58% reduction in weight!
1150530343_4NhEb-M.jpg

Just after I broke the seal :) - see ma, it's still juicy!
1150532681_XB84v-M.jpg

And, because I'm an engineer, the chart. Note that the blue at the bottom shows the duty cycle of the blower. At this resolution, it looks like it was on most of the night. In reality, it would blow for about 2 seconds every minute or two.
1150530223_Kj2oP-M.jpg

Comments