Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thought I'd Share My Pulled Beef I Did Sat Night

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is the best barbecue of all the barbecue I have done on my BGE and that includes Boston Butt & Brisket both. I had tried doing a large chuck roast under a brisket one time but didn’t wrap in foil for the last 3 hrs like I did this one. (I’m going to get a better camera soon – the pics suck) Anyway I put this on at 10:00pm and set the guru at 235 and meat temp at 200, no other probes were used and I went to bed determined to not worry with it since it was only a couple cheap chuck roast. Those 2 are now viewed to be as valuable as any piece of meat that can go in there. At 3:30am just 5 and ½ hrs later they were at 180 and I wrapped both in same sheet of foil re inserted the probe and let em go till I got up at 6am (8 hrs total) and they were done, so I did the towel and cooler thing and left for two hours and pulled em. This pulled beef had the bones falling out as good as any boston butt would have and there was only two little grizzles to discard, all the rest went into the pan. My opinion on this cook is that the “choice” grade and the particular way it was cut helped a great deal to produce outstanding results (they were about 1 ½ in thick with bones). May Rum can add some info on this cut or something.[p]IMAG0208.jpg[p]IMAG0193.jpg[p]IMAG0195.jpg[p]IMAG0197.jpg[p]IMAG0198.jpg[p]IMAG0211.jpg[p]And one to grow on…Jslots corn cass.[p]IMAG0210.jpg[p]There...now didn't that taste good.

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Chet,
    dang, those look good!! . . what did you rub them with? . any marinade/injection? .. ..when you 'pulled' it, did you add any particular sauce??[p]i see those big chuck cuts at the grocery store all the time, but never had a clue what to do with one. .. [p]thanks!

• Eggsellent
    Options
    Chet,
    Ok - talked me into getting some next time I'm at the grocery. You can't beat the price for sure! Thanks for sharing. What did you rub them with? Do you use any other special marinades or sauces?

• Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Options
    Chet,
    Man, that looks awesome. What was your setup with that - direct or indirect? Thanks for sharing.

Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    Chet,
    ive had good luck with the 7 bone in, this last week i tried a chuck roll. choice cut wrapped in foil from about 180 till it hit 210 then in the cooler for 2 hours. no waste, just good tasty pull.when the meat was at 200 it was still to firm, but at 210 was falling apart.its definately a new found favorite.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Chet,
    I did a bone in chuck roast Saturday. It was about 2 inches think. I ask for some ideas and went with my own. I put it on with dome at 300, indirect. When the internal got to 150, I took it off. The outside had a nice crust. For the rub, I used Durkee's grill seasoning, garlic powder, kosher salt and black pepper. When I pulled it off, it had not been on more than two hours. I immediatly wrapped it in foil, put it in a sealed container and put it in the microwave. It sat in the microwave until supper,about three hours and when I cut into it, it was medium rare. I sliced it thin and boy what a meal. I think this piece of meat is much overlooked. [p]Jerry

• mad max beyond eggdome, wuz out of all my fav DP's, and my new fav for beef Cafe Sole`, but had picked up a new one that day "Old World" Smoked Chipotle BBQ Rub or something like that, so I used it and some extra salt and pepper. No marinade or injection, just the rub and oil trick. Funny you should ask about after I pulled it and sauce, cuz last time I did butts I remembered someone told about sprinkling some more of there rub on at that point and moistining it with apple juice or something, so I did that and had some good beef broth paste that I made up and put on there instead of the juice and wrapped with foil to be re-heated at about 6 which turned out to be 12 hrs after they were done. Turned out great, as far as sauce , I think I posted the sauce recipe I like earlier today, real simple and real good.

• Squeeze, used the indirect with drip pan (doubled piece of foil).

• StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    Options
    Chet,[p]This is one of mine favorite cooks....there ain't nuttin like the taste of pulled beef...I'll tell you that, plus, there's just a lot less waste compared to pulled pork. I haven't done the bone in (not that I'm gonna admit too anyway) but the boneless is sumthin to write home bout for sure. Thing is tho..I find that unlike a pork butt..these here things jus gotta be wrapped in foil towards the end of the cook..otherwise they dry out like grampas prickly pears..ain't nuttin good gonna come of that (tho grampa "It's mine and I'll wash it as fast as I wanna" Bouchardee sure tries awful hard).[p]If'n you folks ain't had none of this here pulled beef..you jus gotta try it.[p]
    StumpBaby

• StumpBaby, you might not know it yet but dried out prickly pear is a common syndrome, malady, affliction for old farts...so grampas not the onlyest one with that.

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Chuck roasts are the best for good old roast beef. I don't usually do them on the egg, but I might just give it a go next time after seeing this. I usually just braise them all day on the stove, they go great on a Monday with some red Beans and Rice and French Bread.