Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eye of Round Cooked Like Pot Roast?

Jasper
Jasper Posts: 378
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi, I'm going to cook an eye of round tomorrow and am wondering if anyone ever cooks it like a pot roast in the egg in a DO? I was planning on cooking it GG style, like I've always done with a roast, in a DO. But when I searched the site for this cut of meat I found no one cooks it this way. Any reason why not? My wife says we've always done an outside round AND eye of round cuts this way, but I'm not so sure.

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Jasper, I wouldn't recommend it, but that is just my opinion. Eye of the round is sooo lean, it will almost always be dry (almost sawdusty) after a long braise. Smother it with gravy and it will be fine.
    Something I like to do with eye of the round, not that you asked, is cooking it rare to med-rare, letting it chill overnight, then slicing super thin (deli thin) for sandwiches, au jus subs, philly cheesesteaks, etc. Seems to be one of the few ways you can get eye of the round roasts to hold their juice, and is very flavorful.
    Wish you the best!!
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I agree with Little Chef. Low and slow DO not good.

Try this:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/06/beef-rump-round-roasts.html
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fregg
    fregg Posts: 58
    Jasper
    Did one of these last week, my method was to cover in lots of spices such as Dizzy Dust, garlic, oregano and pepper.
    Left it in the fridge overnight, then cooked direct, got a good char on all sides until around 135. Pulled it and let cool slightly.
    then put it in the slicer and sliced real thin.
    turned out fabulous( and cheap )
    good luck.
    Fregg
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Jasper

I wouldn't. For slow cooks you need some fat and connective tissue. Canadian eye of round is best suited for shoe repair IMHO.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Jasper
    Jasper Posts: 378
    Shoe repair... :laugh: that's funny.

Well, I don't think I have a choice anymore. My wife is insisting I've done this already in the DO with this cut of meat and we have people coming over tonight for dinner. :blink: I guess I should have paid more attention to the meat back then.

I love experiments! :laugh: I'll let you all know how it went.

Thanks for all the advice!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Jasper,

If you have an injector you could load it with a butter or oil base solution.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    i would plan on braising longer. ive gotten cuts to fall apart that was told wouldnt, it just took alot longer.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it