Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Direct vs Indirect?

Options
Brokersmoker
Brokersmoker Posts: 646
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Gonna inject a spatchcock turkey today with white wine & Italian dressing today. Only question is should it be cooked direct, direct raised grid, or indirect. Was planning on cooking between 350 - 375.

Thanks

Comments

• Austin Egger
    Options
    I have done spatcock chickens both ways. If it is very large then you might want to go indirect. If it is a smaller turkey then go direct. If you end up going direct, definitely go raised grid. Good luck and that temp will be fine!
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I agree with Austin Egger. Direct, raised grid, if possible. The last time I did a 10 lb. spatchcock turkey this way it came out great!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    When you talk about raised grid are you saying bring it up to the gasket line?
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    For chicken, I go a little higher than gasket line. I use my 3 tier rack with the top tier all the way up.

2010-10-07%2018.45.25.jpg

Just make sure the thermometer is not poking into the bird.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Austin Egger
    Options
    Yes, Smokeypitt has a nice set up. I just use 2 split fire bricks to raise mine. I have to be careful that I don't tip the bricks over when the grid is getting moved around but for $3 it works pretty good for me.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Done many times and I always go direct at 375/400 very high in dome (adj rig) and never turn. Works well for me.
    Takes just a little over an hour and a quarter for a 13 pounder.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Direct and bump the temp up some. best way to do a turkey I think. I had a number of ways to raise the grid before I got my adj rig for the larges and the woos for the meds. fire bricks work great and are cheep
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Here is a 10 lb. turkey I egged, but could not raise it up because it was cooked in a small egg and there was no room. Still came out great.

PB243688.jpg

It is raised on a 2nd grid by the 3 green feet, but you can see it's still below the gasket level.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Brokersmoker
    Options
    yes, I have a couple of fire bricks that I use to increase distance to fire
  • Brokersmoker
    Options
    Thanks everyone looks like direct 375-400 raised grid. Will post pics later.