Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does this happen to anyone else? Drip Pan Photos

SmokinSoCal
SmokinSoCal Posts: 145
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is my drip pan from my pulled pork. 20 Hours

Started with just apple juice in it. Rub was John Henery's Pecan Rub. It happens every time and I worry it changes the taste of my pork bark. It's ROCK SOLID STYROFORM after it cools.... I am sure it has to do with the sugar but I want to try and avoid this from happening.

img20110106155833.jpg

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Seen that many times...thats why those pans are called "disposable"...
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    create an air gap between the plate setter and the drip pan. Might not eliminate it but it will slow it down. another option is to keep filling the drip pan
  • Ya, I see it all the time as well. But is there a way to avoid it? Is it affecting the way my food taste? This stuff smells NASTY!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    LOL! Cool! :laugh: Nope, not here. I just put an empty drip pan on the platesetter. No liquid. I wind up with a lot of drippings, but they sure don't look like that!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    I just got a 2 butt pack today. My drip pan will be similar very soon. Tim ;)
  • Carolina Q wrote:
    LOL! Cool! :laugh: Nope, not here. I just put an empty drip pan on the platesetter. No liquid. I wind up with a lot of drippings, but they sure don't look like that!

Gonna try the no liquid route next time. I'll post my finished photos later. It's resting till dinner. My friends always laugh when I bring my camera to the dinner table.... :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Does your food taste bad because of it? I get that every time I cook multiple butts and they still taste great!
  • Jagermeister wrote:
    Does your food taste bad because of it? I get that every time I cook multiple butts and they still taste great!

The food taste AMAZING!!!!! However, I don't really have anything to compare it to. No one ever posts photos of their drip pans..... Just making sure things are on the right path. Even though I have been cooking them this way for over a year....
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I try to keep enough water in the pan to avoid the drying and burning effect.
  • Thanks WESS! I can see it here also ;)
    DSC00041cr.jpg
  • Carolina Q
    Hell, I laugh when I take pics of my food. That's why I do it so infrequently!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    SmokinSoCal,

See if you can find a cheap two handled, non-stick pan. Take the plastic handles off and space it off the platesetter. You may still need to put a bit of stock or wine in every so often but you will save that beautiful source of flavour. Another option is to use two foil pans with some small aluminum foil balls in the lower one. You can put a bit of liquid in around the foil balls. Still use some spacers under the bottom one.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    I am cooking a butt this weekend. Will post a pic of my drip pan for your viewing enjoyment. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    LOL, being new and everything, I am sure my neighbors are wondering why I keep taking photos of this big green thing in my driveway!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    4641d6d3.jpg

I use a couple of pieces of angle iron (with the point up ^) on the plate setter... then just set my drip pan on it. I gives enough air space so any drippings don't burn as easily.

If I'm cooking lasagna or something else in a pan, I use them too. If you have enough room you can use the little green feet too.

DSC09789a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • If it smells bad, then it smells bad to the meat too. It works just like smoking wood. I try to keep water in it. Doesn't always work but I try.

Some of the ideas suggested above seem to work too.

Spring "Burnt To A Crispy" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Add some extra liquid before it turns to lava..
  • Lower the temp below the boiling point, i.e. around 205 to 210. Your liquid will then steam instead of boiling away.

Downside is the cook will take much longer. Not necessarily a downside if you plan and time appropriately.
  • Speaking of drip pans. I don't recall seeing competion teams using drip pans. Why do we need drip pans in the first place?
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Egret's brownies. It sure looks similar :ohmy:
  • jbenny
    jbenny Posts: 147
    I just throw some aluminum foil in the shape of a drip pan and have never had an issue.
  • Carolina Q
    Hahaha! Good man, yourself, Jack! That's all I ever did til I found a place that sells disposable drip pans for 25¢ or so. :) Otherwise, I'd still be doin' it!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Turk
    Turk Posts: 114
    You could also try using a spacer under a pan with water with the drip pan above that. One of the nice options with the adjustable rig.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Someone mentioned adding sand to the drip tray. Sounds kind of crazy but that might work.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    me too. leave it in while it cools and pitch it in the trash the next day
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Fornia
    Fornia Posts: 451
    I'm with a few of the others, no liquid in the drip pan.

I've never had butts that turned out dry from lack of liquid. There is normally just some black grease in the bottom, not that mass of mess.
  • I know this throws a wrench in everybody's way of doing it, but for the 12 years I egged without a platesetter, I cooked the butt right in the pan. I saved the delicious drippings, de-fatted them, and poured the pork juice over the pulled pork. Wha-La... problem solved. And yes, I throw the pan away after, no stinkiness whatsoever. I still cook it in the pan to this day, even though I have finally acquired a platesetter.

CIMG2840.jpg
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Yes!! Happens often, but I have never had a bad taste because of it.
    Gotta' ask...You say the gunky drip pan smells bad, and yes they can....BUT...It that right away, or when you clean up??
    I'm thinking that would make a big differance.
  • Faith:
    Speaking of a "wrench".... :ohmy:
    I've had my butt in the pan more than once. Even lost a job or two :whistle::whistle:
    Really though...That looks good and cooking in a pan on the Egg is Okay in my book!
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    I like that idea Faith. Thanks for the tip!