Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wicked Good - bad bag?

Options
NJKel
NJKel Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys,

LOML got me two bags of WGC WW charcoal for Christmas. I've cooked with it before and really liked it.

I just broke into one of these bags two days ago and it was particularly smelly and smoky getting started. It took over 90 minutes for it to be ready to cook on my large - and on top of that, the lump seemed to burn down a lot quicker than I was used to with WGC.

I tried to start another cook tonight, but there was more smoke from this lump than I have ever seen in four years of using my egg multiple times per week. This lump popped and sparked and smoked heavily when I would open the lid of the cooker for more than a few seconds. Totally uncharacteristic of what I am used to with WGC.

Anyone else experience this? I am definitely going to call them in the morning to let them know.

The purpose of my post is just to see if anyone else has noticed any changes in their product? I've been using RO for most of 2010 but wanted to get back to WGC. I'm hoping this was just a fluke.

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Dunno. I've been thru half a pallet or so and haven't run into that at all. Been using RO lately, but still have 4-5 bags of WG left for the lo n slo's. I'm sure Lee Ann would want to know.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• AlwaysGolf
    Options
    NJKel sent you an email. I am sure they would want to know!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Call Lee Ann, a very nice lady.
    Had problem and she fixed.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    Uh-oh. Was there a problem with the bags Alvin brought to Plano? I haven't tried mine yet. :huh:
  • NJKel
    Options
    I just got off the phone with Larry, who was just as helpful and friendly as you guys had said.

They're sending me some new charcoal and I'm going to send some more info about my bag to Larry so they can track it back and see if there might be any wider problems that might be an issue for other folks.

I'm just happy nothing has changed, and I'm sure my next bag of WGC will be the good stuff I've gotten used to.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Ahh, MR. LeeAnn. :) Glad they made you happy. I found them very good to deal with.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    Got your email, thanks. :ohmy:
  • Shwiezzee
    Shwiezzee Posts: 304
    Options
    I had the same problem over Christmas. I also flip between RO and WG. I did a 7lb prime rib on New Years and it was killer smoke. I gave the egg over an hour to burn clean cooked five hours at 225. I was ok with it however my wife and friends thought it was a little strong. I think it was a bad bag if the next one is the same I will call.
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike Bar.
  • Sundazes
    Sundazes Posts: 307
    Options
    I got three bags over the holidays. So far 2 of the three have sparked like the fourth og July. Haven't opened the third yet. Not the norm with wgc.
    Interesting.
  • Shwiezzee
    Options
    Hmmm........ Thats three..... anyone else????? Bueller?? :ermm: :ermm:
    :ohmy:
  • NJKel
    Options
    Get in touch with them - they said I was the first person to contact them and describe this.
  • Shwiezzee
    Options
    NJKel,

Cheers for the heads up! I talked to Larry @ WGC. I gave them the info they are looking for. I have a call into my retailer to see if they have had any other feed back.

Take Care,
    Jay