Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tel Tru Thermometer stock on BGE's now.

Options
SMITTYtheSMOKER
SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just unpacked a new XL Egg and assembled it for a customer. Stock thermometer now made by Tel Tru with a BGE logo on it. First I have seen.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

Comments

• MusicMan78
    Options
    What is the temperature range?
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Not sure if I just got unlucky or what but my experience with Tel Tru was horrible. I bought the stem thermometer that goes to 1000 degrees for the egg and after about a month I went outside and the thermometer was reading 400 degrees when the egg wasn't lit. I called Tel Tru and they told me I had to ship the $20 thermometer back at my expense. It took me 4 calls to finally get them to pay return shipping and agree to send me a new thermometer and now that I have it I don't even use it because the stem is twice as long as the BGE thermometer so it sticks down into everything I cook. The customer service was poor until I got up to the manager level. I got an email about a week later that there was a design flaw with the original. Basically I wasted $100 worth of my time on a crappy designed, crappy quality $20 thermometer.
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Just on the XLs.... for now.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Good to hear. I have one for each of my large eggs (2)and they seem to do very well. I hope all the eggs get them. ;)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    hmmmm, proves that lemons may even show up at Tel Tru - OTOH I have had 3 of them for 7 or 8 years now and they remain dead on accurate. All of mine are the 200 to 1,000 ones which I much prefer. As for your statement that their probe is twice as long then that tells another story. The Tel Tru is 5" vs the BGE 4" so when you say it is twice as long means you use the 2.5" BGE one. If you instead ordered the 2.5" Tel Tru then you would have to refigure the reading by 15% as it doesn't get an accurate reading.

Like I said lemons happen, but your report is the first bad PR I've ever read about them.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I agree that they can't be perfect and if I had called them and they offered to send me
    a new one and to ship the old one back I would have been 100% happy. I haven't had any issues with the new thermometer but then again I never use it partially due to the fact of how horrible their customer service was and principle. I know it's a bad word here but I had a weber genesis and a weber WSM before I got eggs and one of the lower panels on the genesis started rusting and with one 5 minute phone call they sent me
    a whole new lower half to the grill.
  • Slotmercenary
    Options
    I also bought 3 tel tru for my eggs about 45 days ago. 2.5 inch 1000 degree models and I am also not thrilled to say the least. I have calibrated them on several occasions in boiling water and also in the egg with my digi II and the best I can hope for is a 50-60 degree variance. I sent an e-mail, lets see how this turns out...I put my BGE therms back in.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    When I first got my two Tel-Tru's in the mail after one of my BGE probes froze up I checked them both at the same time in boiling water and posted it. I seen that both were off and posted that I changed them. Well thirdeye chimed in and said can't be both were off did I check them correctly? I looked over the paper I got with them and I discovered I wasn't checking them correctly. My water wasn't deep enough because the place on the Tel-Tru is up from the point where the notch is. Give that a try and see if it helps you. Tim ;)
  • Raised on Webber
    Options
    I just got an XL Egg that came with the BGE logo thermometer pictured above. I went to calibrate it and it was dead on out of the box.
  • Raised on Webber
    Options
    I just got an XL Egg that came with the BGE logo thermometer pictured above. I went to calibrate it and it was dead on out of the box.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Smitty,

Is the probe length the same as the standard thermo?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    Drill a hole lengthwise through a wine bottle cork and insert therm stem through it on outside of dome. Makes a perfect spacer.
  • beerguy
    beerguy Posts: 116
    Options
    The thermometer that came with my XL early this past summer was not a Tel Tru and was did not work after two weeks. I received a BGE replacement and it didn't last any longer. I replaced it with a Tel Tru which was dead on accurate when I received it and I've never looked back. It works flawlessly and is still accurate.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Little Steven wrote:
    Smitty,

Is the probe length the same as the standard thermo?

Steve

Looked like a 4" stem.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA