Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Harley Owners Question

Hoss's BBQ
Hoss's BBQ Posts: 435
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anybody who owns a Harley ever purchased on Service packages from a Dealership? are they worth it? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Hoss

Comments

• RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Do you reference a "service" plan, or extended warranty plan? The service plan will always be a good thing if one doesn't wish to do ones own service work. The extended warranty is only good if something goes south during the covered period.
    When my last Harley was purchased, after everything was worked out on price, I managed to get them to throw in a two year extended warranty period, along with the first two factory services....and a tee shirt.
  • was discussing a service plan up to 4 per year for three years. Hoss
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    No to answer your question.

I currently own a 2004 Road King. We have never purchased a new Harley nor have we ever purchased a used Harley from a dealer. We buy our bikes used from private individuals. I work on my own Harley as much as I can. I do know a factory trained mechanic who left the dealership to work out of his residence. I pay him to do what I can't and I work on my bike the way he would suggest. I have my own handy lift in my garage which helps very much. Tim
  • My friend's father is a car dealer. The number one money maker for dealers are extended warranties.
  • Thanks for your advice Hoss
  • That was what I was feeling! Hoss
  • 2Fategghead
    On this day I had pulled out my handy lift then put my bike on it to give it a through washing.

100_3119.jpg

100_3118.jpg

100_3117.jpg

100_3116.jpg
  • RVH
    With that many services per year they probably are counting some as just oil changes. It's not hard to change the oil and it's a lot less expensive than the dealer.
    Maybe, if you are not already aware, you should find out just what is included in these services that they are offering you at four per year. If you figure the cost is fair for your situation then if might be a good deal for you.
    The reason I mentioned both terms is because quite a few people use them interchangeably, until they need something and find out they have purchased something else. I'm sure you don't fit into this category.
    Which model bike are you interested in?
  • Im buying a 2005 Heritage softail. IT could include oil changes up to the retuning (im using the wrong term) of the forks at the 50000 mile mark. So it is a maintence service plan only good at that delaership. Hoss
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    I have a 2000 Road King since new. I've had all services performed at the appropriate intervals. It ain't cheap :) Service departments have routine service costs posted. Compare price with the "Plan" you're considering. They are based on milage so estimate how long it will take you to reach those service milestones. It's a great bike, you'll enjoy it!
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    If it doesn't include brake pads and tires I'd pass. Dropping fluids and swapping filters every 5K is a piece of cake if you can turn an allen wrench. Bleeding brake lines is pretty easy as well. I wouldn't pay for a service plan or a warranty. Dealerships make a ton of cash charging you $400-500 for a 5K service, when you can buy a service manual for $60 and do it all yourself. Use synthetic fluids in the crankcase and the primary.

Prepare to swap back tire every 10K miles and front tire every 15-18K. Let the dealer do the tires. Switch from the junk Dunlops they come with and put on some Avons. The ride will be smoother and the handling better.

Brake pads generally last 15K, unless you ride like a maniac then maybe 12K.

Do it yourself and you'll know your bike better and possibly be able to fix it if anything goes wrong on a long ride. Part of the fun to me is tearing them down, rebuilding them, improving them. Don't pay the dealer to install anything for you. All the parts come with pretty good instructions even if you aren't mechanically inclined. Even putting on new pipes - either slip-ons or full headers, is a pretty easy job. Whatever you do don't remove or alter the baffles in the stock pipes. Get a good set of V&H or a Thunderheader.

What model are you looking at?
  • RVH
    Fidel, I have a pair of Avon Venom tires in the garage that will probably be mounted in the next few months. It would have been earlier but the last set of Dunlops just won't wear out fast enough (I'm too cheap to just take them off while they still have tread left). I'm getting kind of antsy to try them.
  • 2005 Heritage Softail. it is used first bike has 13,300 miles on it. Hoss
  • Fidel
    OK, I'll give you an opinion. You're a pretty big boy, as am I. If you like the look of the Heritage then I would strongly suggest you do yourself a HUGE favor and look at a Road King Classic instead of the Heritage. Road Kings are made to ride, sloptails are bar hoppers. No offense to anyone, but if you plan on any long rides you'll love the RK vs. the sloptail.

The ride is better (dual air-adjustable rear shocks instead of a single spring chock) and the configuration options are at least ten-fold more. Road Kings are awesome bikes.
  • I am a big boy and i know it! I will look at the Road King option. Thanks Hoss
  • RVH
    Fidel wrote:
    The ride is better (dual air-adjustable rear shocks instead of a single spring chock) and the configuration options are at least ten-fold more. Road Kings are awesome bikes.

Every softail I've ever seen or worked on has dual shocks. :)
  • Fidel
    True - two shock absorbers but a single pivot point. Of course, much may have changed since the last softail I dabbled with was about 10 years ago.

The moral of the story is the rear suspension on the Road Kings and Glides provides a better ride - at least in the ones I've ridden.
  • 2Fategghead
    Hoss, You have seen my Road King and believe me I love it. I bought it with just a windshield but, now I have a quick disconnect fairing for it as well. On the back end I can go with a solo seat and leave off the back seat or any sissy bar or rack or trunk. I can add the passenger seat and a sissy bar and if I like I have a luggage rack all quick detachable. Now I can put a King Queen seat on and put my quick detachable king tour pack on for the long hauls with Cindy. I also have a set of lower fairings for the cold weather. I also love my Road King because it has a carburetor so I can do my own fine tuning but, if we were going into high elevations I would probably wish I had fuel injection. Tim ;)
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Now ya done gone and beat on me little Mule Rod!! ;)
    BIKEPICS6-16-07043.jpg

83K on 04 FXST "sloptail"!! :laugh: But Rod is right of course as far as the ride but I still looks so much better getting there! :whistle:
    Would have to know what you are paying for service warranty to know if it is a deal. Unless you are a die hard you are not going to use 4 oil changes a year. Man these things an't nothing but a big lawn mower motor. I had never worked on one in my life. With a factory shop manual and the internet I punched the cylinders, ported/pollished heads and .570 gear drive cams. You can't buy the satisfaction of running a motor you built. On top of that I'm not knocking your dealer as I don't even know who he is BUT no one takes care of your stuff better than you do.
  • RVH
    Both styles feature a swingarm with but a single pivot point connecting them to to frame. Both styles feature two shocks, each of which connect on one end to the frame side and on the other to the swingarm. The only real change since you played with them in the last ten years is the prices have gone up :woohoo:.
    The moral of your story about comfort is spot-on. I have both a Road King Classic and a Softail Deluxe: the comfort of the Road King is "much more gooderer!"
    I hope you have warm enough weather down there that you can get some riding in. We always tell ourselves up here that you guys have it sunny and warm all year...try not to confuse us with facts, please.... :blush: