Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerky is on.

Car Wash Mike
Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
BeefJerky1.jpg
<p />A little 8 hour cook with jerky then overnighter with a whole brisket.[p]Have a good weekend.[p]CWM

Comments

• ShortRib
    ShortRib Posts: 180
    Car Wash Mike,
    What's your recipe???

• Car Wash Mike,
    You'll have to let us know how it turns out and if it is good, precisely what your technique is. [p]It seems like with the help here I have pretty much mastered everything but jerky. I have tried it several times and just cannot get it right. [p]Good luck, Mark

• Car Wash Mike
    Mark and Shortrib,[p]1 cup soy sauce[p]1/2 cup pure maple syrup[p]1/2 cup brown sugar[p]teaspooon garlic powder[p]teaspoon onion powder[p]1 1/2 tablespoons Cowlick rub[p]1/2 tablespoon cayenne pepper[p]Slice meat and marinade overnight[p]I used to mess around with the recipe a lot but settled on this. [p]Stablize egg at 175-190[p]I use a couple apple chunks for smoke.[p]Cook indirect for 6-8 hours. Because of the high sugar content you can't go much over that or it will burn. I move it all to the top grid for the last hour. You might have to flip after a couple hours.[p]Finished Jerky. [p]bcece82c.jpg [p]CWM
  • Car Wash Mike,[p]What type of meat do you use. Also, is it suppose to be as dry and tough as the Pennican (sp?) beef jerky? In the pic it looks thicker and juicier? I never tried jerky yet, is it like the air dried mehod?[p]Howard

• Car Wash Mike
    Howard,[p]My marinade is a liquid and I do tend to slice a little thicker. After cooking a place jerky in a baggie opened in the fridge. I'm thinking about a dehydrator.[p]CWM
  • Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Car Wash Mike, I smoke mine in the egg and finish it in the dehydrator.