Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Range vs Cooktop

Options
2»

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    It does require some TLC.. but I'd never part with it!

Viking.jpg
  • AlwaysGolf
    Options
    When we built we went with the Wolf 36in rangetop with 6 burners and GE Monogram ZET2 double wall ovens.

Wolf was the only manufacturer when we built whose rangetop put out the same number of BTUs whether propane or natural gas. Comes from the factory rated for one or the other. Others had a field conversion kit and therfore the BTUS dropped for propane. We didn't have natural gas available in our area when we built and we wanted a gas cook/rangetop. Hope this helps.

DSC01101.jpg

DSC01097.jpg
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    My 2 cents: I have a 48" Viking range top, 6 burners plus grill (got the Eggs shortly after that, so I never use it). And two KitchenAid wall ovens next to it. I couldn't be more satisfied with the arrangement. I only use the oven for baking, and in truth I use the toaster oven far more, for baking potatoes or whatever will fit in it--I've tested the temperature of the toaster oven and it's right on the mark!

The range top burners are terrific and water boils pretty quickly on high, and the low setting is just a tiny flame around the center hob.

I also got a Viking stainless hood with a pot rail on the front, and that is one of the smartest things I ever did. I use hooks on the rail for tongs and other essential utensils, and they slide off to one side and out of your way if you like. Now I have to clean the grease baffles every so often but they just pop out. The hood and its sucking power is well worth it!

Judy in San Diego
    Judy in San Diego
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    Egghead Gathering at Alvin's in the near future!
    Great kitchen -- could sure have fun cooking there!
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Very good point Steve!
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    stike:
    Thank you for that link...WOW :) !!
    Looks to me that I have a #7, but maybe older than that which is pictured...I don't have a chrome top...

OM.jpg

I do love this stove, but I also have to tinker with it a bit. Mostly just the pilots for the oven and broiler.
    I will have to check deeper, on the site you shared, to see if I can find some orifices. I've been making my own and they just don't hold up or work out like I wish....
    If you do get one, I am SURE you won't be disappointed!!
    Really I love this range. If I ever did replace it here at my home, it would move to a new home at Whispering Wings (my hunting & fishing retreat).
  • Egglectic
    Egglectic Posts: 95
    edited August 2011
    Options