Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cod fillets

Options
Dr Drew
Dr Drew Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to try cod on the egg. Any ideas how to do it? I have some cedar planks if you think that would help.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy Dr.
    Cod is really tough to grill direct because it flakes so easily, but it can benefit from some browning. You could cook it on a plank, but I think it'd be pretty mushy, and absolutely no browning. If you have a thick filet that is holding together pretty good, you could do it on a grill topper, but thinking a big cast iron pan would be best. Hot and fast. Flip early, flip gently.

Just some idears. I love grilling fish right over a hot fire, but a firmer flesh works better (ie: halibut, tuna, mahi mahi, etc)

Sure you'll get some good ideas. There's an amazing pool of knowledge on this forum.
    Happy cookin
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Dr Drew
    Dr Drew Posts: 11
    Options
    So I can put a cast iron skillet in the egg? Do I need to preheat it?
  • Rick in Crystal Lake
    Options
    Cod is one of my favorite fish but like NB said, it can be difficult to grill. I have a very simple way and it works for me. I put the Cod fillet on a piece of heavy foil. drizzel with evoo, salt, pepper, and a light spinke of dill. cook until flakey, no need to flip. If you want a dryer fish, just poke some holes in the foil so the liquid can drain. I don't add any smoking wood, seems the charcoal adds enough for me.
    Good luck
    Rick ;)
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Dr Drew,

Chris is right about the texture. If you have some parchment you can do it en papillote.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap