Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question: Sourcing lump charcoal in Aberdeen?

Options
Rezen73
Rezen73 Posts: 356
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all, Happy New Year!

Been gone awhile, been busy relocating from hot Houston Texas to cold Aberdeen, Scotland!

Still without my Egg for another 3.5 weeks... but looking to get a head start on sourcing stuff. Found a good butcher and fishmonger (that sells live North Sea lobster!) on accident, just by walking around... but I haven't had any luck finding anywhere that sells lump charcoal. I guess being the middle of winter it's not a hot seller. hah.

Anyone have any suggestions on places to look for lump charcoal and/or wood smoking chips in Aberdeen?

Thanks!

-Rezen

Comments

• NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    I hope you find it. I have plenty of family in Aberdeen. Don't think any of them are grillers that I know of.

Enjoy it. Love the stone houses in Aberdeen. Granite I think it was. Nice golf there too. I played a course right on the water in the city over Christmas years ago. They play on "winter greens". Good luck and enjoy!
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    Drink a few Tennents Lagers and the lump{s} will come to you! ;)
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    Is there a Restaurant Depot near you? I found their price on Royal Oak (USA) much cheaper than Walmart, and they carry it all year.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    There is an American Food Store in Aberdeen you may want to try (at least it was there in 1987). We lived in Nairn and would make it to Aberdeen about once a year and would stop in at the store to get real important stuff like grits, cereals, saltine crackers, ritz crackers, and hot dogs. :S

It was known to all as "The American Food Store". :)

The first time you cook a chicken or pork chop you may be a little surprised - I told my traveling companion it was bas- throw it out. It's fine - just smells that way because they are fed fish meal. For chicken that is grain fed we shopped at Marks & Spencer. Of course the trees are a lot taller since we were there and some things may have changed.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    in scotland?
    hahaha
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    Options
    There is a company importing Eggs into England, and my distributor gets BGE charcoal through him. This is the best charcoal I have found here in Ireland.
    His web site is http://biggreenegg.co.uk/ and he should be able to advise on your nearest distributor of all things EGG. If it is available here in Ireland it should also be available in Scotland.
    A friend of mine in Wales gets his charcoal from a guy who supplies wholesale to the local Indian restaurants where they use large amounts of charcoal, and Indian food is very popular in this part of the world.
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Options
    I can't vouch for these people but I came across their site yesterday when researching wood pellet supply (another story).
    I used charcoal in the same big (blue) bags 5yrs ago and it was pretty good and big pieces.
    You'll find it hard to get charcoal in the winter - there are a few online sources.
    For future in the spring try a bag of season's lump from Tesco, B&Q etc then you know whether to pounce when they discount it at the end of July! Tesco.com is particularly handy for this as they deliver, though I'm not sure my wife was impressed when I added 15 bags of lump to a grocery order !

http://www.liverpoolwoodpellets.co.uk/ourshop/cat_282866-Buy-Barbecue-and-Cooking-Charcoal.html

Good luck and welcome to Scotland.