Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I noticed there are some newbies

Options
eggor
eggor Posts: 777
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
and just would like to say welcome to the forum. thought might be a good time to reflect on some common mistakes.[p]i'll just add one of a huge bunch a mistakes to avoid.[p]Do not let the egg get to 700+ deg temps for more than about 1/2 hour give or take. If you close the lid and decide to burn off the crud like you may have done with an old, soon to be discarded gas grill, and come back say half an hour later to find the egg has gone nuclear. that is what is refered to as "fried my gasket syndrome" and "my dome is welded shut!!!!!"[p]maybe some others can add to the list of do's and dont's[p]Whiz, you get the "lost all my arm hair!!!!!"

Comments

• Fisheyes
    Options
    eggor,
    I am a Newbie and I learned valuable lesson tonight. I was cooking a Beer Butt Chicken and had planned on a 3 1/2 hour cook time. Initially, I put the chicken on top of drip pan. About 2 hours in, a stray thought (probably fueled by Bourbon) told me to move the chicken off of the pan and put it directly on the grill. Bad Idea! I tipped the chicken, spilled the beer, crushed the drip pan, and caused one hell of a fire.[p]In the end, I put the chicken back onto the drip pan and finished out the 3 1/2 hour cook. It was the best chicken that I have ever had. I canonly imagine how good it would have been, if I had left well enough alone.[p]Lesson Learned: Trust the recipe and let her cook. A friend told me that patience is the secret with the BGE.[p]Brad

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Fisheyes,[p]I dunno..that recipe sounds pretty accurate to me! Ha. Enjoy[p]mShark