Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

dome temp vs grill temp

Options
Pro du Bar B Q
Pro du Bar B Q Posts: 94
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
HI,
if the dome temp is 400F what would be the temp at grill level?
thanks for answers
Bon appétit !!

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    The difference in dome temp & grid temp is usually about 30 degrees with the dome being the higher temp....some will say different but I think this is about average.
  • BR-549
    BR-549 Posts: 48
    Options
    I'm thinking 20 to 25 degrees difference. This is what I read on the forum.
  • Pro du Bar B Q
    Options
    thank you!
    Bon appétit !!
  • Pro du Bar B Q
    Options
    thanks!
    Bon appétit !!
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    The temp differentials posted are pretty accurate. I would add that I feel the dome temp is much more stable for taking readings and less prone to false readings due to proximity to cold meat and/or heat wash around the edges of a platesetter.
  • Pro du Bar B Q
    Options
    thanks for your lights! ;)
    Bon appétit !!
  • Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    Options
    This is a question that comes up every now and then and the standard answer is always dome is hotter than the grid by whatever amount. I have found that to be true but I just don’t understand how that is possible because the coals are what is generating the heat and they are at the bottom below the grid. To sear we commonly use the spider or other devices to get closer to the fire. Some even chunk the meat directly on the coals to sear so that would lead me to believe that is where it is the hottest. I know there must be an explanation to the apparent phenomenon that the grid is a demarcation point for heat so that it is hotter above and below it. Just curious.
    Popsicle
    Willis Tx.
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    I believe the replies have to do with indirect cooking involving convection heat only. Otherwise you are correct, the coals are producing heat in excess of 1200 degrees. The closer to them direct, the loader the cow screams.
  • Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    Options
    Civil Eggineer, never even thought about differentiating between direct and indirect. I guess that is what they call tunnel vision on looking at a question. As soon as I read your reply it was like a light bulb came on. I think you proved the old axiom of “every dollar spent on Engineering saves $100 in construction”. Thanks.
    Popsicle
    Willis Tx.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Just go by the dome temp. No sense complicating things with variables such as dome vs grid temp. You are hopefully cookng to internal temp anyway.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Wow I agree. Since you have no control over the grid temperature, why even bother monitoring it ro worrying about it. Just go with the thermometer and internal temp of the food.