Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Rib recipe for today (lazy man's ribs)

Options
Smokey
Smokey Posts: 2,468
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I found this on the K forum. Used it for todays rib. will post results later[p]I don't prep as much as you guys do, It just hasn't ever seem to make that much of a difference on the finished product. Contest cooking is
another story. My ribs, including drive time to butcher, takes about 7 hours total time. You'll need sex, oops, six things.
1 Jack Daniels ( the half gallon size works best )
2 ribs ( the style is your choice )
3 mustard ( your choice )
4 rub ( your choice again, I prefer hot and spicy )
5 dark brown sugar ( optional )
6 a cooking device
Take the ribs and slather the mustard on the meat side (some people do both sides), membranes, I don't bother with removing them, your
choice. Take your hot and spicy rub and sprinkle the ribs. Rub is a incorrect term, if you "rub" the rub in the meat, it will cause an uneven
distribution, therefore, sprinkle the rub evenly on the meat. OOPS, I forgot something, by now you should have opened the JD and had a few
swigs, if you have already done this, great. The rub is now on the ribs, take another drink and eyeball those ribs, talk sweetly to them while you
enjoy the JD. Now take the dark brown sugar and spread a healthy layer gently all over the ribs, try and not disturb the rub distribution.
Is you pit fired up and holding at about 200-225 deg, if yes, take another swig. If not, take another swig and start fire. Depending upon your
preparation speed, the JD should be disappearing quickly. Don't worry, it is a half gallon.
With your temp holding at 200-225 throw the ribs on the pit, depending on what the level of the JD bottle is, the term " throw " could be miss leading, so place dem ribs on the rack, bone side down. Close the lid and take another drink. If at this point you can still read the temp gauge, take a bigger drink. Hold the temp at 200-225 for about 4-6 hours, I don't peek, don't rotate, don't mop, don't spray, I don't open the lid for any reason. Only three things you need to eyeball during these cooking times are, the JD, the wife (or ol' man), and temp gauge. If the Jack Daniels is empty before the ribs are done, go to bed. Eating great ribs would only ruin your buzz. After about four hours open lid and check ribs, if fork
tender, remove and eat. If not, take another swig and continue cooking until they are fork tender. Rememeber, if you applied the sugar, keep the temp low to keep from burning sugar. I did forget to mention that this method is for indirect heat, true bbq smoking, not grilling. The hot and spicy rub, cooked with the sugar, will give you a contrast of flavors. I could have made this post a lot shorter, but I was bored. If you think I missed any important information, take another drink. YES, the Jack Daniels (or you own poison) is a very impotant part of cooking great BBQ. IMHO, bbq is a party, if you are not going to enjoy the cooking process, go out to eat!

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Smokey, your post should be required reading for all NEWBIES... Great!

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Smokey,[p]That's fun reading. Do you recall who wrote it??[p]Actually that is as much work as any ribs I have ever done - I am not sure what more you could do to them other than flip ever 45 min. He said he does them at 200 indirect but never says if its just a drip pan under it or a stone. Doesn't seem long enough at 200 for 4 hrs indirect. Did I misread something - maybe those JD pops got to him. Let us know how your come out. Happy eating[p]Tim
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Smokey, thanks for the reprint, either original in text or in part. Not sure which part was adlib. But at any rate, its pretty much on course. I don't flip either and also use the mustard sprinkle rub basics. The author is correct in not rubbing rubs unless on a cold raw meat. Even then, sprinkle is the best option. When doing ground pepper, its seems to be better rubbed into the meat. In my observations anyway.
    Overall, the whole article is a very good grip on excellent BBQ ribs. I would compliment the author. Maybe he stole it from our recipe archives..heeeee.
    C~W[p]