Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

4 Steaks on the Spider

Options
The Shed
The Shed Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had my Large BGE for about 1 year and am getting fairly good at it, thanks to the Forum that I lurk in all the time.

Question: I want a Spider for searing steaks but Tom at Ceramic Grill Store states in the write up, that it is best for 3 steaks or less due to the size of the small CI grid. Does anyone out there fit 4 steaks on it? Or, is searing 2 at a time a problem? Specifically the time it takes to re-heat the grid.

Thanks,
Lance
Sandy, UT

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    if your doing the trex method, sear two at a time, a few extra minutes resting wont hurt them
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    It is all about how big the steaks are. I am sure I could fit four nice steaks on my small, but it would be easy to get too big with T-bones or some big ribeyes.

The grid for a small is 13" in diameter, so you can cut a circle and get a pretty good idea what would fit.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    I mostly cook ribeyes and strip steaks and I fit 3 nice ribeyes or 4 strip steaks. Like mentioned above, sear as many as you can at a time and put them aside while you sear more.
  • Chief Chef
    Options
    Three nice size rib eyes fit nicely on my 13" CI grid on the spider.
  • The Shed
    Options
    Thanks for the responses!

I've ordered the Spider and CI grid. Now I'm researching how to cut the handle off of an old CI skillet, I think I got that figured out as well.

Thanks,
    Lance
    Sandy, UT
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    Just get a hacksaw. It should only take a couple of minutes. Cast iron cuts easily. After you cut it make sure to sand any rough edges. The cut edge will season and you will never be able to tell it was modified.
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    You could do 4 filets easy, though 4 ribeyes wouldn't work. In reality though you could cook them in two phases with sears on the spider then put them up on a elevated grid to cook to temp ..... If you hot tub your steaks you don't need that much time beyond a sear anyway.. I've done plenty of my steaks with the Spider and adjustable rig being the elevated grid..

(or go T-Rex style)
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    Glad you decided to pull the trigger on it, you will not regret it. I have found that it is better to only sear 1 or 2 at a time so that you get nice grill marks on ALL of your steaks. As someone else mentioned, the extra rest time cannot hurt and it is just a few more sips of your beverage that you get to enjoy.
  • The Shed
    Options
    Time for "A few more sips of the beverage" is exactly what convinced me to buy the Spider for searing 4 steaks for the family, 2 at a time.

The Spider and Woo Ring shipped yesterday, the same day I ordered them. The Ceramic Grill Store is as good as advertised on this forum.

Now, I have to wait for my BGE dealer to place his order with my small CI grid on it, not sure how long that will take.

Thanks,
    Lance