Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Spawn's Taking a Trip!

The Spawn
The Spawn Posts: 23
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Eggheads!!!

I wanted to post this here, hoping I would get some amazing answers! I'm heading across the pond to spend the rest of this month in London and, well you know me and my slight obsession of food, and I would love to know where you think I should go to eat! I'll be in London during the week and I'm spending one weekend in Dublin and another in Paris.

Any and all ideas would be awesome! I've got a few that Mad Max and I have found, but any others would be really appreciated!

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    bet max didnt suggest st james gate :):whistle:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    I'd hit one of Gordon Ramsey's places for sure if I was over there. If nothing else then for having something to compare to all of his TV shows.
  • Of course you know the British aren't really known for their cuisine :( Bangers and beans and cucumber sandwiches just don't do much for me.

Wish I had some tips for you Sidney you but I don't. We always ended up in italian, indian, or chinese resataurants. I would pass on the sausage links they serve for breakfast but maybe you should try them to see what you think. Pub lunches can be good - shephards pie is usually good but you may want to ask if they put kidneys, etc. in their pie. I suggest bringing some Tony Chachere's with you for bland food emergencies.
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    You best call me, Young Lady! I don't recall approving this request! There are,...well, there are Englishmen, Irishmen, and Frenchmen over there! Don't trust them! I can get you Eva Longoria's number if you need validation.

Uncle Lawn
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    a great noodle bar called wagamama. several locations including london proper, camden, kensington and knightsbridge. also google giraffe restaurants in london. many locations. British pub food is much better than it used to be. Try most of the pubs for good food. Also as Frank mentioned Indian food is the most popular food there. Check it out.
  • Desert Filly
    Desert Filly Posts: 1,042
    don't know a thing about dining establishments..but sure do hope you are more travel savvy than my daughters were a couple of years ago....don't miss your flight home. also...I've heard it's kinda cold...extremely cold....other there right now. take plenty of warm clothes....

now..this is only the mother speaking here.

have a blast.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    CONGRATS on the journey.Be safe and have a BLAST! :)
  • I go to Paris quite a bit and there is a place called "L'Alsace" on the Champs Elysées. They serve food influenced from the Alsace region of France (border w/Germany)including lots of charcuteries (sausages), though for some reason they also serve seafood. I like the sausages and it is quite good at least for one meal in Paris.

Here is a picture of the place I took just before Christmas.

L'Alsace

L'Alsace.jpg

Some more traditional French food is good too, you can't go wrong. The Latin Quarter is also a cool place to visit and grab some food (not as expensive) and a bit of a tourist area - but hey you'll be a tourist. Don't miss visiting Sacre Coeur and have a coffee, sandwich etc... This is a very picturesque place (also a bit touristy) but worth the view.

Have fun.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Safe travels Syd. Tim :)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    congrats. enjoy the trip. london is a wonderful city.

Chutney Mary is an Indian restaurant that was highly recommended when my wife and i were in london. it was excellent...
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    I'd take a tray of Brownies to London as they need something there with some flavor to it. As others have said, the best (and best seasoned) food you can get in London is from one of the many Indian restaurants. In Paris, you can go wild. Try one of the local places - no big name, just look for a place where locals are going in and out - and I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Virtually every place I tried like that was fantastic. One word of caution in Paris. Try to speak a bit of French wherever you go. Even if your only phrase is "Parlez vous Anglais?" it goes a long way in warming the French up. BTW, is Max footing this entire bill? Maybe I can slip some new suggestions in if he is.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    I wouldn't miss the fish-n-chips and breadless burgers wrapped in old newspaper, just ask the locals or google for a good place near where you're staying. Have fun and be safe Syd.
    Gary
    canuckland
  • troutman
    troutman Posts: 498
    I spent a lot of time in the London area in a previous business life. Don't miss Harrods in Knightsbridge, plan to spend a few hours there just looking at the food.

I highly recommend Sale e Pepe for an Italian dinner. It has been around forever, and is near Harrods at 13/15 Pavilion Road London SW1, Tel 071 235 0098/0114. Small place so make a reservation.

There is another great place nearby for Dover Sole, best I've ever had. I can't remember the name but if I do I'll repost with it.

Have a great time and a safe trip.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Call your dad if you need money. Wiring your friends won't be believed :woohoo:

Have a great time while your there!
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Never been there so can't help but have a great trip Syd!! -RP
  • WingRider
    WingRider Posts: 326
    Congrats on the trip! :woohoo:

I only spent a couple of days in London on my way home from Scotland....so not much for suggestions.
    However it is a chance of a lifetime and enjoy and be safe.

I really enjoyed the tower of london and the crown jewels.