Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Back Ribs - Indirect & Direct

Options
Tim M
Tim M Posts: 2,410
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
ribset15.jpg
<p />Experimenting tonight was a real treat!! I have often wished I could cook ribs indirect for 3/4 of the cook and then switch over to direct to char on some BBQ sauce without handling really hot ceramic stuff. Many like dry ribs and I do to if you have dipping sauce but sometimes I like wet ribs with a bbq sauce burnt on the outside. The problem has been to get the juciest ribs you had to cook them indirect over a drip pan or ceramics to prevent the charing or drying of the meat. Even at 200 deg the ribs dry out some after 3 hrs. The answer to that was ceramics, pioneered by our own Woody and JJ. They came up with firebricks and JJ found the prototype plate setter. Now BGE has this neat raised grid which easily allows a drip pan to fit under it and so you can do a rack or two on the raised grid for 3/4 of the cook and then remove the grid and the pan and return the ribs to the main grid to finish cooking direct for 30-45 min. This is where I burn on the sauce to my liking. The link below takes you to the whole adventure. [p]Tim
[ul][li]Baby Backs on raised grid[/ul]

Comments

• Teslamania
    Teslamania Posts: 144
    Options
    Tim M,[p]Looks great. Makes me want to get some baby backs of my own for tomorrow. Is it raining down there too? I have the extended grid / grill but haven't used it yet.

• Tim M
    Options
    Teslamania,[p]Yep- raining here. I always cook in the rain it seems - I had the umbrella over the Egg several times tonight. One trick I learned with lighting the Egg in the rain. Put a pizza pan (I have an old one I use as a drip pan) right in the center on the grid and it keeps the rain, that comes in the chimney, from putting out the fire. [p]Try the raised grid.[p]Tim
  • Teslamania
    Teslamania Posts: 144
    Options
    Tim M,[p]Good tip about the drip pan trick for starting the egg in the rain. I'll run out to costco for baby back ribs tomorrow!

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    ribs4eat.jpg
    <p />Tim:[p]Nice picture series and glad you liked the sauce. What were your thoughts on the other two? They DO represent some extremes in regional sauces . . .[p]I took four racks of baby backs done with Shake's Rub to the office Monday with some of his sauce. Rave reviews . . . The ribs were good too![p]Out of town plans changed so it is a "Rib Fest" on the "Spam Side" of Brookhaven. Will be doing baby backs, thick baby backs (with 1/4 of the pork loin left on), and some pork spare ribs. Pictured are some baby backs.[p]Hope you and everyone else has an enjoyable holiday. Remember to tell your children the significance of this holiday.[p]
  • Tim M
    Options
    djm5x9,[p]""Nice picture series and glad you liked the sauce. What were your thoughts on the other two? They DO represent
    some extremes in regional sauces . . .""[p]I have been using up several of the other sauces I use still in the fridge and my wife said I had to get the number of opened bottles down to under 10 so I have been working on the old stuff and just got into the ones you brought up. One old favorite is Harry and David's Chipotle BBQ sauce. [p]You are so correct - big difference in the sauces. The one I used last night was the Miss Davies. It was sweet - whooeee sweet. The first 3 ingredients were tomotoes, corn syrup and sugar. It was a nice sauce to burn on at the end - not that good for dipping. I have used the Strikland's a couple times as a dipping sauce - very good. I have not tried the Mac's yet. That one will be intersting - never saw a yellowish BBQ sauce before. Might try it on chicken breasts first. [p]Tim

• JW
    JW Posts: 10
    Options
    Tim M,[p]Where can you pick up one of those grid extenders? Any local home Depot? [p]Thanks, Jim
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    JW:[p]BGE has them. Your local retailer should be able to provide you with one or order from BGE Atlanta . . .