Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Black Pizza Stone

Options
Ozarkshooter
Ozarkshooter Posts: 65
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last year, when I started baking breads and pizzas on the eggs, I used my wife's Pampered Chef pizza stones. I had heard the PC stones were prone to breaking if the temp was too high. So, we were careful to keep them below 450. (And, yes, this was done with my wife's full knowledge and approval!)

I have now purchased BGE pizza stones for both eggs and will no longer use the PC stones in the eggs.

Now, for the question. Both PC stones are black from using them on the eggs. That part we don't care about. But, they have lost their "non-stick" abilities. How can I get this back.

One thought was to do a good high temp burn with the top facing down towards the fire - just like when I have cleaned my platesetters. Hopefully, this will bring it back to it's new condition. But, I am afraid of the direct high temps.

I've got to think someone else has experienced this. Any thoughts would be greatly appeciated.

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    You may want to use corn meal on you stone. It's a known fact the pc stones can break. Tim :)
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    Put it in the egg and bake it and the color will go away as the "stuff" that's making it black will burn out ..if you do it hot and long enough it'll turn white like when it was new.

Suggest you use a little semolina on the bottom of your pies as it has a higher burn temp than cornmeal ... use as little as possible and clean off the stone between pies to get the burned bits off there.
    Happy Eggin
    FB/SGP
    Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Put some lump in the baby and run it up to 650 deg and let it sit their for a couple of hours. That will clean the entire egg and stone!

I do this after I have done long and slows so that my breads/pizzas..etc don't taste like grease.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    that non stick is probably due to being so careful not to get it too hot. use the new stones and get it hotter, mine is soap stone, been cracked for several years and i keep using it and getting it hot hot hot, hotter than anyone here is ever admitting too, nothing sticks to it. i here all the time that castiron and bacon stick together, they dont if you get the pan hot first before adding the bacon, same with a stone, i dont use cornmeal on it, just the flour that stuck to the base of the pie
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • mbcjr
    mbcjr Posts: 14
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm a rookie at the BGE's . Got a stupid question:

Is the Baking Stone for the Egg the same as the Pizza stone for the Egg?

I'm getting my Large BGE as soon as weather permits here in MT. Hopefully nest week!!!

In regards to soap stone. I just tried some I purchased from the below link for pizza's in my home oven. They had these already cut 4" x 8" x 1 1/8 thick. So I had them ship me 6 of them & tried them @ 500degrees +, they didn't crack. Their a little heavy for the oven so I might try them on the EGG. They certainly hold the heat a long time and get the job done! 1st time I've ever used soapstone, maybe I'll have them custom cut me a piece. Price wasn't bad $41.00 with the shipping I believe.

http://vermontsoapstone.com/

Thanks.

mbcjr/ God Bless
    mbcjr/God Bless
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Is the Baking Stone for the Egg the same as the Pizza stone for the Egg?

Yes it is and it is a very good stone at that. Tim :)