Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

steak question

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i read in the egg manual that you never cook with the lid open...[p]question is...[p]when cooking a steak...do you sear with lid closed? and finish with the lid closed?[p]just have never cooked a steak with a closed lid...so i guess i need a little reassuring.[p]any basic tips?[p]

Comments

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    rainmaker,
    are you still reading that manual? well are ya?

• rainmaker,[p]If doing "TRex" style, I sear with the lid open, let 'er rest, and finish with the lid closed.[p]Nothing wrong with cooking with lid open, just watch out for your gasket if you're going high temps...
  • rainmaker,
    You can do it either way. I have....
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • eggor
    rainmaker,[p]hope you didn't take my earlier post the wrong way. if you go to the recipe sections you will see several recipes on cookin steak, including t'rex. but really, that cookbook can lead you wrong, just read the recipe about boiling ribs. there are some very good recipes that you can pull from the forum. by the way it depends on how YOU prefer to sear, try it both ways. i sear dome down.[p]Scott[p]
  • Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    eggor,[p]My brother in law basically used his egg as a grill for over a year, and still made the best steaks he'd ever eaten...until T-Rexing was found.[p]You're just talking about different degrees of greatness...
  • eggor
    Mark Backer,[p]yep, reachin new degrees of greatness all the time with the egg, hard to compare one great meal last week to a great meal tonite.[p]Scott

• glenn
    glenn Posts: 151
    rainmaker,
    Guess I have to ask a dumb question on this topic
    how do you sear with the dome open without frying the gasket on the rear of the dome lid.
    I have lots of trouble keeping a gasket on my Large
    I blow a gasket each and every time I exceed 700 deg
    I am still using the oem felt stuff and it never lasts more than a week.
    So my large spends most of its time without a gasket
    seems to still work ok
    Just a question maybe someone can tell me how to solve the problem
    Thanx Glenn

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Glenn,
    Check out my post about last night's dinner, you can see the cotronic's gasket in it's glory holding up against 900° flames licking all over it.

[ul][li]Cotronics[/ul]
  • glenn
    glenn Posts: 151
    Bobby-Q,
    Which tape and adhesive did you use??
    Glenn

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    86d6a753.jpg
    <p />Glenn,
    The way I solved that problem on my large was to cut a second grate that fits on the ledge between the fire box and the fire ring.
    1d7febaa.jpg[p]
    I don't have to build a rip roaring fire because this grate is only about 1/2" from the coals. After searing I replace the regular grate, leaving the lower one in place, and finish. I do wear welding gloves and use long tongs, but have had no gasket problems.[p]5cd253b3.jpg

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Glenn,
    I used the self adhesive tape that is 1" wide and 1/8" thick. I only did the bottom gasket and it has worked great.

• Ray
    Ray Posts: 59
    Glenn,
    i have used high temp rtv gasket material(automotive type) with tremendous results...what i did was to thoroughly clean the lower half rim... i then placed a bead of the rtv on the rim, then covered it with saran wrap(you can spray the wrap with silicone to prevent sticking) ... close the lid and it makes a perfect fit( kinda like a dental impression)... wait 24 hrs... open it up... pull back the saran wrap...leaving the rtv in place to form a perfect seal. mine's been in place for two years...i cook with the lid up fairly often... my original gasket lasted less than one cook...