Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ding,ding,ding,ding...the Billionth Prime Rib Post

Options
eenie meenie
eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yep, if you can't stand another look, peep on another post.

Dry aged a 17 lb prime boneless ribeye roast in fridge, naked for two weeks.

IMG_5864.jpg

Cooked it today to send my nephew off back to college after his break. It's always a cause for celebration to send people back to Michigan from the Buckeye state.

IMG_5891.jpg

My rub consisted of rosemary, sage, thyme all from my garden despite the winter weather! I added some S&P, and minced garlic in olive oil.

IMG_5875.jpg

I also made a fennel, onion, potato gratin with emmetaler with lots and lots of heavy cream:

IMG_5853.jpg

and a salad with a walnut oil & apple cider vinegar vinaigrette with candied roasted pecans, pears, apples, and Maytag blue cheese:

IMG_5848.jpg

Finished roast after a reverse sear with sides:

IMG_5910.jpg

You are to be commended if you looked at this post.......you have perseverance!

Happy New Year!

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Nice post and good looking cook.

Happy New Year, Kent
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    nice post, lots of good ingredients, wish i was there, how could you go wrong with that piece of beef. how long would you dry age for next time, that slice looks great
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    One of the Best lookin ones I've seen yet!If I EVER get tired of lookin at OR eating Prime Rib,it's OVER! :S
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Excellent, Rebecca!! Great cook and pics.

I had a turkey meat loaf with sautéed squash on a TV tray tonight. :laugh: It was very tasty, but....

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Le Oeuf Vert
    Options
    Meal looks great. What was your decision on trimming the "Rind" or leaving it on and cooking as is?
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Becca you post a couple more "raws" pics like this and I'll just shut The Shack's doors to the public and stick with beer can chicken!! :blush: Absolutely beutiful post and the beef looked outstanding!! Auron said he will look at every one of your prime rib post if you will send him a bone out of it!! :laugh:
  • Egg-Me-On
    Options
    Wow, that is inspirational. Something else, I will have have to aspire to making.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Beef looks great, amazing the effort you put into the sides :whistle: maybe I should try that sometime :laugh:
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Thanks for looking Kent!

I sure hope this year is better than last year for you.
    I'm still mulling around in my mind a selection of music for you. :)

Happy New Year. :)
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    You are to be commended if you looked at this post.......you have perseverance!

It was my pleasure

Nice way to send off your nephew - Methinks you may be my traveling companion's aunt Rebecca :)
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Fish, I'll probably try for a month next time. The only reason I took it out for today was to have a proper send off for my nephew.

Did you spy the Maple Syrup? It's from a friend in Vermont.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    You win the prime rib contest :). That is quite a spread!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• eenie meenie
    Options
    I don't Hoss, in my professional opinion, it was over for you once you posted that chitlin post. :lol: :laugh: :woohoo: :P
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    the post of year and it is only january second ..
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Michael, we only at one roast....there's plenty left left for you if FlaPoolman doesn't get here first. :laugh:
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Le Oeuf Vert, that is an interesting question. I actually took a pic of some 'silver' or fascia on the raw roast before I began dry aging the beef. Quite frankly, I didn't know if should have removed it or not. I usually remove the fascia from other cuts. I never really noticed this on ribeye roasts before. I took a pic because I was going to post the question of if it should be removed. But then I looked at it and decided, forget it.

IMG_5727.jpg

Well, I left it on and I could actually pull it off part of the superior part of the roast when eating.

Now......to answer your question, I just trimmed a scant amount off the ends. I'm saving the 'stike carpaccio" for my brother. He'll love it! :) Waste not want not.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    i didnt see that, i like a good maple syrup. had some go green in the cupboard last year, i would put it in the fridge if you havent, its not bad, needs to be skimmed and reheated if it goes green on top but you probably want to avoid that. never seen that happen bewfore in all the years
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    :ohmy: poor Auron, I can't mail him a bone....it was a boneless roast.

Hope you are doing OK in the New Year.

BTW, someone sent me a pic of Auron to add to my Nadia post last week. He is one handsome feller! :) (just like his owner, I might add)
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    Rebecca That all looks wonderful. I'll save my Prime Rib for when it isn't so crowded :silly:
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Linda, if I can do it, anyone can do it. I just poach off this forum. There are so many brillant eggers willing to share their wisdom. Welcome! :)
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Pat, from what I understand, sides are not for carnivores. :lol: :laugh: :woohoo: :side:
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Frank, I've seen evidence of how you and Marie have absolutely spoiled visiting eggers! :)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I'll be right over. If Pat gets there first, well, I can always order a pizza! The food won't be as good, but the company will be nice. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• eenie meenie
    Options
    You wouldn't believe how I've been salivating over all these prime rib posts the past two weeks. It was hard to look at all those awesome posts.
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    Your nephew is a lucky young man - what a send off!!! Looks yummy - great cook. ;)
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    :woohoo:
    I never tire of beef! Wow, that's a huge Prime Rib and you put on a feast all perfectly presented and cooked. You are an artist and master of the flame!

This terrific dinner would put a fine steak restaurant on high alert, you ARE the competition. :cheer:

Just thinking, you could be the next Sunshine State Iron Chef Champion!!!

And I'll be first in line for your Autograph. ;)

Beautiful, just beautiful....
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    bill, I hope you noticed my response to your post in the pics of the year post by stike....... :):lol: :laugh: :laugh: :silly:

Thank you for your kind comment! It's all downhill from here. :laugh:
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    Nice pics Rebecca, and the prime rib looks perfect ;)
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Thanks for the advice Fish. B)

I don't refrigerate my maple syrup. I use quite a bit, this bottle will be gone by the end of the month.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Looks WONDERFUL, Rebecca. Now just imagine since you got those results after only aging for 14 days why I scream with pleasure with my results after aging for 45 days!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.