Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's on your To Try list for 2011!!

Options
AlwaysGolf
AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After cruising through some post this am since my Dolphins are sucking, I noticed that I have collected some eggcessories that have yet to be used, thus this thread and I read that my buddy Mickey has yet to do a brisket after 5 years of owning a egg.

So in 2011 I vow to attempt:

1. Bread of some type
2. Paella, have the pan collecting dust
3. Stir fry, same as paella pan, LOL
4. Stuffed pork loin

And you can only cross them of your list when posted with pics!!!

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I have done 3 of em.I REALLY wanna try the paella.Just have'nt been able to muster the courage.That'a a lot of expensive,yummee ingredients to mess up. :blush: :blink:
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    Lamb. I have never cooked (and rarely eaten) it. One of my helpers tells me he knows how to grill it so it's the best thing I will ever eat ..we shall see and I will report here when it happens.
    FB/SGP
    Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
  • WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Options
    That was on my list! I only did three hunks so I wouldn't ruin a bunch in case it went south... All is well, cooling down...haven't tried it yet and my garage smells REALLY stinky! We used the caveman method and it was pretty darned simple.
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    Smoked cheese, tomorrow.
    I do bread a lot, even at fests. Easy. Don't be afraid of the yeast. Use any recipe with plate setter legs down, spacer, pizza stone and bread pans on the stone. Sane time and temp as written recipe. Remove from pan onto rack and allow to cool. Can't cut hot bread.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    1. Pizza
    2. Butt
    3. Paella
    4. Ribs
    5. Chicken Wings
    6. Turkey
    7. Whole Chicken

And every other great idea I discover on this site!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • AlwaysGolf
    Options
    PattyO, forgot all about cheese!!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    dolphin, oh wate the pats are already doing it, nice that its a rebuilding year :woohoo:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • PattyO
    Options
    I did my turkey today, first time and crossed that off my list. And of course now that I learned photobucket I couldn't log into this forum. Don't know why I got kicked out. Can't get in downstairs, but iPad and upstairs computer works. So, no pics. Are we limited to two computers? Turkey was fantastic. Modified Mad Max. 8-1/2 pounder for about 3 hrs.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Brisket :blush:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    I just got a Paella Pan, Bomba Rice, Saffron and some Spanish Chorizo so a Paella must be on the to do list. :laugh:
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    You read my mind. I also want this to be the spring/summer of pizza. I need to get pizza down.
  • stevesails
    Options
    Brisket
    pastrami
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Bread, paella and pizza.

I bought one of those LaCloche bread bakers as well as a paella pan some time ago. Somehow haven't gotten around to trying either.

As for pizza, I can do a credible pie, but I have yet to master one that looks like THIS...

bianco-margherita.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Options
    I have to go with paella for sure. I'm thinking about trying duck too. I'd really like to try stike's beef wellington.
  • Jumping Joe
    Options
    Three months with a large and 1 1/2 with the small. Hooked already....already but the gas and old smoker on the curb. Someone took them in the middle of the night....they don't know what they are missing. My try list for 2011 is as follows:

- Bone in lamb chops (wife's favorite)
    - Beef ribs
    - Himalayan salt block fish (need to but a block)
    - Dutch oven anything (need one also)
    - Cinnamon rolls
    - Scallops of some sort

My to do list is to build the kitchen for the eggs. Our new concrete patio was poured a few weeks ago and the cedar pergola went up last week. We bought a fire pit in Lebanon, TN two weeks ago as well....really cool. Check it out at firepitart.com
    We purchased the Kokopelli but at a discounted rate as we talked with Rick at a local art fair a few months ago and got that art fair price. I will post some pic's of the new set and ask for some advice on the egg set up.

Thanks ya'll for helping on everything asked. Nice to know you can get instance responses to egg questions.

My wish for 2011 is to find some good lump in Memphis. Not much to choose from where I am shopping.

Happy New Year!
  • PattyO
    Options
    Bacon too. I need to learn and get the courage to make belly bacon. For sure.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    lamb lolipops with Red Eye Express are fantastic. Dizzy Pig has a recipe on their site.
  • Hoss
    Options
    You should be able to find it in Mempho.Royal Oak is good,they bag the overpriced BGE stuff for them.I REALLY like the Ozark Oak.My Dad has a place in Melbourne Ark.The OO headquarters is just a few miles from there in Yellville.It's good stuff.Where are you located?
  • Hoss
    Options
    OH YEAH! I'm havin trouble findin the fresh bellies. :(
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Oh Mickey, you gave me the belly laugh of the day! And the perfect emoticon.

I STiLL haven't made a brisket, and I always loved the oven-baked ones, in almost 10 years of Eggin'.

I remember when you first got your Egg and wanted to know about pizza. In another lifetime.

Judy in San Dego
    Judy in San Diego
  • Jumping Joe
    Options
    I'm just outside Memphis in Lakeland, TN. I can't find any Royal Oak and the stuff Nature-Glo I found is way to expensive. The only thing I can find without braking the bank is Cowboy. Full load lasted only 19 and a half hours on my two butts I made for New Years. Luckily that's all I needed.......Does anyone know if LIT store sells lump?
  • Pjoe
    Pjoe Posts: 224
    Options
    Brisket ( never tried to cook this at all)
    Bread
    Cookies
    Pizza
    Brunswick Stew
    For sure!

Bill
    LBGE AR SMALL BGE WOO RING
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    Would you put it in the EGG ?

Thanks.

Gary
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    I am with you on that one. Don't do much pizza as it is too much Carbs. Bread is one of my downfalls.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Well, you have the perfect outdoor kitchen to do those and a lot more.

Me, I'd like to do more bread (it's fun), a real pizza (never done a real one), more fish (planked, blackened, grilled, baked and gumbo'd), dutch oven roasts (got that down pat), desserts (love peach cobbler), rum (?), (oh wait, that's for while I'm cooking), and a really, really good brisket so I can invite Lake Conroe Egger back for a re-match.

Spring "Tall Hill To Climb And Long Row To Hoe" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • AlwaysGolf
    Options
    Spring Chicken, see you have tried everything and only working on perfection. I am still strugglingm, LOL. But it has been a fun and exciting struggle with the BGE!!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Would I put what in the egg? I assume you mean the LaCloche. In any case, yes to all.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hoss
    Options
    I'm in Hernando MS.There is a warehouse downtown Mempho that sells every kind you can imagine.I'll see if I can get the name.WalMart usually has RO lump.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Judy do you feel as bad as I do for not doing a brisket?
    I think it is a law?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.