Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ultra Copper Silicone Gasket

Frank from Houma
Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Used this stuff
IMG_5260800x600.jpg

Made a jig
IMG_5286800x600.jpg

Applied the gasket material
IMG_5271800x600.jpg

Shaped it with the jig
IMG_5272800x600.jpg

After doing mini, adjusted jig to fit small
IMG_5289800x600.jpg

Small and mini finished
IMG_5278800x600.jpg

Mini cruising along at 900 - neaux gasket issues
IMG_5303800x600.jpg

Put a handful of apple chips on and closed down the vents - all good
IMG_5306800x600.jpg

My patent attorney advised that I should be eggspecting substantial royalty payments for the unique jig design and manufacture. In lieu of royalty payments, I will sell the patent rites along with the original jig for a reasonable offer.
IMG_5297800x600.jpg

Comments

• LOL - very creative and I don't think that design could be copied....what are you going to call it?
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Interesting. Dome gasketed also?
  • Looks great , let us know how it holds up over time.
  • Was thinking about egglelagasketo but realized it would be a mouthful when answering the phone "egglelagasketo headquarters, how can I help you?" so I settled on "THE JIG". :)
  • Do the patent rights come with the missing plug, which as you know, will be required to be in place while the device is not being used? OSHIT Regulations: 654B, Sub 222.

What about a storage container or wall-hanging retention device?

Is the operating manual current with compliance updates?

I'm certain to have more questions before I offer up my $1.00 bid.

Other than that, it looks to be a well thought out invention.

Spring "Inspected By 442" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Just the base. It has a nice "cushiony" feel when closing the dome.

You superior woodworking skills will not be required to make the jig (simple skills are sufficient) and you are authorized to use the unique design without royalty payments. :)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Nice idea Frank, thank you. Now have that jig made in China include some Frank from Houma's BGE Silicone and have all those checks sent to your second or third home in the the Cayman Islands.

How thick did you apply the silicone and how many tubes did each egg take?

I wonder if all the silicone will set when it is thick?

Kent
  • Frank - I'm not one to toy around with the whole "bidding process" and slowly work the bid up, so I'll just go "all in" on my first offer. I'll double the previous offer to:
    - $2.00,

- throw in a PDF copy of the 2010 Eggtoberfest Recipes (very hard to come by you know),

- and all I require is for you to pay the postage for mailing me the patent paperwork, and the device itself

I realize this is a very attractive offer, but as you can see I REALLY want to win this one!!!

Nice idea, I just changed my gasket out this week with the original felt style, but wondered about doing something along the lines of what you did. Let us know how it works going forward.
  • Spring Chicken wrote:
    Do the patent rights come with the missing plug, which as you know, will be required to be in place while the device is not being used? OSHIT Regulations: 654B, Sub 222.

This is a plugless as well as a clueless jig. OSHIT has waived the plug requirement - it's amazing how cheap these guys are - three ABTs secured the waiver.

What about a storage container or wall-hanging retention device?

The wall hanging device has been incorporated into the jig design as an upgrade and will increase royalty payments. Storage container will be marketed as an eggstra.

Is the operating manual current with compliance updates?

The operating manual will be available through a 900 number at an offshore location.

I'm certain to have more questions before I offer up my $1.00 bid.

Money is not an acceptable form of payment - only services or accommodation. You have already prepaid for 1272 jigs.

Other than that, it looks to be a well thought out invention.

Spring "Inspected By 442" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

Updated Photo showing hanging device and critical secret dimensions.

IMG_5310800x600.jpg
  • GG - It was about 1/4" thick

Used about 2/3 of a tube on the mini and one tube for the small.

I did the mini last night and it set up fine. Did the small about three hours ago and it seems to be cured. Will try it out later.
  • Bean

I went through

2 felts, 1 nomex, and 1 rutland on my XL
    1 felt and one rutland on the small
    2 felts and one rutland on the mini

The felts simply fried

The nomex seemed to harden over time (about 1 year)

The rutland didn't stick very well. My fault - I didn't install very well.

When I installed the rutland on my XL, I went heavy with the silicone - peeled the rutland off about two weeks ago and the silicone seems to be doing the job but I haven't done a low and slow on it yet.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Nice job! Did you buy the silicone at a retail venue or on-line?
  • Picked it up at Advance Auto Parts store - it's available at any auto parts store.
  • Frank, outstanding job equals a very informative thread. When I was researching gaskets on here a while back, a post mentioned hearing about someone doing this. Without more info, I chickened out, not having a pioneering spirit. Awesome to see it done! Nice job!
  • thanks!... i've been ranting about using rtv for years....at last some one else realizes the potential...my gasket has been on for seven years..... still works great!.... i would have used copper.... but all i had in tool box at the time was the red stuff..... it has not melted... burned up or anything else.....rr
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,464
    very nice frank, does the jig control the thickness too? a while back i read an old post and recall someone using dowels as spacer to provide uniform thickness, with a piece of parchment paper or cling wrap to prevent the top and bottom from gluing shut. think he had to trim the oozed out material after drying though. the dowel channels can be filled in later.

i'm thinking may be i can combine your method with his and get the best of both worlds? may be seal the dowel channels with removable plugs so they can be used for probe wires when needed?

gary
    canuckland
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Frank you never cease to amaze me ....would you accept royalties in pesos?? :unsure:
  • Gary,

The jig was simply to control the thickness and keep the material pretty much on top. It rides on the ledge where the band sits to control the thickness.

IMG_5289800x600.jpg
  • Possible queso pero neaux peso :)
  • You are a true innovator Frank

Ross
  • Someone mentioned going all rtv a good while back but I couldn't remember who. I put it on the mini last night and gave it a test run this morning with no hiccups and put it on the SBGE this morning - ran the SBGE up to 650 and held it there for a while and now have some chips on it with a couple smoke leaks that can easily be corrected. Wish I would have done this a couple years ago - thanks for leading the way.
  • Its early days but seems to be working fine. I'll certainly let folks know if I have problems with it.
  • Thanks Ross.

Update on Patent application:

Shady Grady, my patent attorney advises that he is going to sue the patent office. Their position is that a scrap piece of wood with a notch in it is unpatentable. He has a large backlog of $9 divorce cases from spouses that are tired of eating cold dinners as a result of photo taking.
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Good idea. My Permatex gasket looks like kindergarten fingerpainting. When you market it, why not call it THE jig... Kinda like THE chicken... or THE Ohio State University... :laugh:
  • I thought I might try it with some kind of spacer to get a thicker gasket. You could also just put down a few blobs of the RTV, let them cure, and then put on the remainder of the gasket at about that height. The jig seems to do a pretty nice job.

I'd use plastic wrap and not parchment, the silicone in the parchment will stick to the silicone RTV and it will be tough to get off. Not that I would know from experience. :whistle:
  • Ricklesss
    Ricklesss Posts: 391
    Waaaayyy COOL!!
    Last year...(wait! what year is this?) Maybe 2 years ago, I posted here that I was going to make a gasket made entirely out of the Permatex Ultra Copper (and that I would post how it went...) but I couldn't make up my mind how to do it "just so".
    I was THIS close to your idea... :laugh: but didn't make that final "leap".
    Really, great idea...and now I WILL be doing it!!

PS, I agree: In a few years, all here will be doing it, and it will be known as "THE gasket" !
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    it's an idea that is a few years old. i forget who did it first...
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Ricklesss
    Ricklesss Posts: 391
    Oh, yeah I didn't come up with the idea first, of that I'm quite sure..
    It's prolly one of those idea's that, after one's gone through HOW many gaskets (*&^%??*!!))a lot of folks would just naturally think up, out of sheer frustration.
    I do wonder when/if the mothership will ever come up with a final, once and for all solution....
    Mothership, are you listening...?
  • kjed
    kjed Posts: 55
    After melting my felt after around 6 cooks, I put on a Rutland, which lasted for almost 8 years before the adhesive started to let go in spots.

I put Permatex Copper on my Large BGE last year, although it doesn't look nearly as pretty as Frank's. IIRC, I used 2+ tubes of Permatex. I left small gaps in the silicone at 3, 6, and 9 O'clock, and placed some wooden dowels as spacers to keep the lid from flattening the silicone too much. I put parchment paper over the silicone, closed the lid, and let cure for 24 hours. I had no problem removing the parchment. I then filled in the gaps where the dowels were, more parchment, close the lid, wait another 24 hours.

A year and a half later, "THE Gasket" is still working just fine; the silicone is still pliable, and I get no smoke leaks. Best gasket yet, although I'll have to wait another 6.5 years to see if it beats the Rutland...

Keith