Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Catfish filet

Options
Brobear
Brobear Posts: 43
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the best way to cook a catfish filet on the egg without it falling apart? Is it better to cook it fast or slow? Also, is there a preference to the preparation of the filets? Thanks.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    misosalmon.jpg
    <p />Brobear,
    Catfish is a tough one, but almost any fish can be cooked directly on the gril if the filet is thick and firm enough. Hotter and faster is better, but the heat you put to it depends on the thickness. The thinner, the hotter. The key (for me) is to oil your grate (or with thinner filets your grill topper), and flip the fish only once as soon as you get a nice crust, before the fish is halfway done. I cook longer on the second side. Then carefully remove at the end.....very carefully with a wide spatula.[p]Good luck!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • bigarms
    bigarms Posts: 136
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Man that is a beautiful site......this salad for lunch is not lasting to long today.
  • Brobear
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Thanks for the reply. Do you use anything special to make the "crust" i.e. rub, etc.
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Brobear,
    SInce you asked, I still use our own rubs. Dizzy Pig Raging River is really good on all kinds of fish, and builds up a nice crust. If you don't have any, than another fish rub, or something I used to do is mix up a little paste. Some mustard, salt or soy sauce, a little oil, turbinado sugar (or brown if you don't have), cracked pepper, corriander seed and/or lemon zest, cayenne...maybe some garlic/onion powder. Rub it on and let sit for 20 minutes up to an hour but not longer.[p]Just some idears. Good luck!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Brobear
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]I do have Raging River rub and several others. My wife likes the tsunami rub ( I didn't really know what a tsunami was until recently). So the dry rub works fine. I did not know if you added oil or anything else.[p]Thanks
  • bigarms
    bigarms Posts: 136
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]I mix Raging River Rub and grated Parmesan cheese 50/50 in an bag and shake catfish filets.[p]I rub them first with tabasco sauce......then into the bag.[p]Then I use a garlic, butter lemon mop while they are on the grill.....man I have to go home.

• Brobear
    Options
    bigarms,[p]Thanks to you and Nature Boy. I used the tabasco, parmesan, and raging river. I added an initial coat of lemon butter and garlic and put them on the egg at 500. I left them on for around 10 minutes, carefully flipped them using two spatulas, then cooked for another 20 minutes at 400. They were the best catfish filets we have had. I had become discourged with fish, but the rub and cooking fast at a higher temperature made the difference.
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Brobear,
    Shaweeet!!!! Pretty cool huh? Take a little bit from the forum here, and a little bit there, and end up with a memorable meal. I gotta try that parmesian tabasco thing. [p]Thanks for the report Bro!
    Good weekend to you.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com