Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Impressive.......

Options
SmokinParrotHead
SmokinParrotHead Posts: 532
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Loaded the large up yesterday afternoon and smoked two 9lb boston butts. Started it at 7:30 last night, got it to 250, put the butts on at 9. Pulled the butts off today at 4, right at 200.

Took the rack and drip pan off and turned the Egg loose to cook clean and it quickly rose to 700, even after 21 hours burning. Let it go at 700 for about an hour, then dialed it back to 400 and put the washed grid back in to dry.

Forgot about it, went out just now to check(27 hours after ignition), and it's STILL cruising at 400.

I don't care who you are, that is impressive. I'm thinking it could maintain a 250 cook for over 36 hours. Has anyone ever just set it up at 250 and let it go just to see how long it will burn at that temp? I'd be curious to know, but not curious enough to waste a good load of lump, lol.

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    AWWW,C'mon.Take one for da team! ;)
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I did 250 for 21 hours then up to 350 for 6 then for the heck of it dialed it back to 250 and let it go. At 34 hours it was still going but it was 2 AM and I went to bed. The next morning when I got up it was still warm. That was for last years superbowl party, I might try again this year at a steady 250.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    You WASHED your grid? :laugh:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    Well, just to get the chunks of fat cap that were stuck on it off. Normally I let the Egg do the cleaning of it but I have to start some more turkeys first think in the morning and I didn't want all that pork fat down in the lump when I get ready for that.

Quit laughing at me........ :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GulfCoastBBQ
    Options
    I did a huge brisket for about 32 hours once and had a lot of coal left when I finally put it out.

The egg temp dropped down to about 180 for a couple hours when I was asleep but still, it was a pretty impressive showing if you ask me.
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    That is exactly what I was thinking. I just scrap them off and burn any smootz off.