Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do I prep my dry aged beef?

Options
eenie meenie
eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, I guess I haven't been paying attention.

I just stuck a 17 1/2 lb boneless prime ribeye roast in my fridge, unwrapped for about two weeks now. My nephew is returning to U of Mich tomorrow, so I want to roast it for lunch before he heads back.

Well, I'm staring at this thing and wonder....what now? I didn't put it in one of those dry age bag things. Do I need to trim anything off? I intend to cut it in two so that I have more end pieces.

IMG_5872.jpg

IMG_5864.jpg

IMG_5868.jpg

Suggestions please.

Comments

• 3Pedals6Speeds
    Options
    Some will cook it as is and 'enjoy' the rind that has formed, but I think most non aged beef enthusiasts find that a little tough to handle. So, I always trim as little as I can and then cook normally.

As an OSU grad, and living next door to MSU, I'd suggest you're wasting good beef on a U-M student, but that'd be unkind. : )

Just sent our OSU student back to your neighborhood with a similar "big feed sendoff."
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    No ma'am,just cook it. :) DO NOT TRIM,per stike.
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    You are absolutely correct about the wasting a prime cut on a Wolverine. Poor kid is a muggle. ;) His mother is from OSU and his father from Michigan (although he went to OSU for grad school).

You've got that Michigan thing down, lol.
  • Hoss
    Options
    Michigan???Were'nt they supposed to be in Florida today? :whistle: :evil:
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Hoss, last I heard they got ripped by a bulldog and left for gator bait. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Hoss
    Options
    B) I'm LOVIN IT!My Uncle, 2 cousins,daughter,son and myself graced that campus! :woohoo:Who let da DAWGS OUT???!
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Pay attention to temps. I'm no expert on it but I believe I read here that it does cook faster and medium will ruin it :ohmy:
    Good luck and what time should I be there?
  • GulfCoastBBQ
    Options
    Two weeks shouldn't be too bad, you can just trim away anything that is rock hard and leathery which should be very little. Once you roast it the fat that comes to the surface will soften the rind enough to eat it all.

If it was mine I might shave a thin slice off each end prior to cooking.
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    One o'clock EST Pat!
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Guess I'll make 'stike' carpaccio from the ends. :)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    You don't defer to those that can't appreciate it.

Trim nothing but the very end piece. The "rind" looks scary, but is the best part of dry aged beef

If you don't like the rind, then you water your time aging it. That's the simple truth

Eenie meenie, have you not been paying attention?!?!

Always amazes me when someone dives in and yes beef and then, at the end, can't remember why you age it in the first place.

Tell you what. Send it to me and I'll send you an equal weight or prime or wagyu
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • GulfCoastBBQ
    Options
    I have done a few hundred pounds of dry aged beef, mostly prime, and I don't think you can buy a better steak than I can make at my house. I think you will be happy with the results ;)

I think I have posted pics and questions about it here once or twice in the distant past. I remember Stike getting after me for over-trimming some that had a particularly hard rind :laugh:
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    OK stike, I'll just make your stike carpaccio and it will be ready after patting on some rosemary, thyme, sage, S&P and oil. It is quite hard, I can only imagine what it would be like if left for another month.

I have no intentions of sending this to Massachusetts. I believe you have an excess of cured foods to feast on for quite some time. :)
  • troutman
    troutman Posts: 498
    Options
    I hear you, Hoss. All three of us kids, 2 of my brothers 3 kids, and my sisters 3 kids, and both in-laws graced that campus. We all managed to grad-e-ate two!

When the Big 10 lines up with the SEC in bowl games, bring plenty of chips and salsa. It is usually a lot of fun.

Rebecca, feed that child some meat. Or send it to me and I'll prep it for you. Enjoy.