Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Won't be smoking anymore.

RGBHV
RGBHV Posts: 1,318
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cigarettes that is.

I apologize for not posting in the OT forum but I wanted to make it as difficult as possible to relapse.

Happy New Year,

Michael

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Good luck man! I kicked a 3 pack a day habit 26 years ago so I know it is an uphill battle. The main thing is you have to want to quit for yourself, not even for a loved one, but FOR YOURSELF.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    cold turkey or drugs. i know two that used chantix with really good luck.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RGBHV
    I know - quitting smoking is one of those things where it's important to be selfish.

I know the timing appears suspect (New Years Resolution and all) but it's something I've been preparing for, for quite some time.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Michael
  • Think of all the great stuff you can buy for the egg with the savings! Last month when I was in Manhattan, a colleague paid $14 for a pack of Marlboro Reds. Yikes!
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Congratulations!! May '81 walked away from 3-4 packs a day. cold turkey. Took the year before to get mentally ready and I have never looked back.
    I carried toothpicks, celery sticks and carrots for a thing to do with my hands. You will need to stay away from those places you normally want a smoke. Your clothes and house will smell better, and your bank account will grow.
  • Great news! Hang in there for a few days and you will get it done. Meanwhile, if you have an urge to blow smoke-rings, get one of these.

ZeroBlasterSmokeRing.jpg

Oh, and think about all the Eggs and accessories you can buy with the savings.

Happy New Year

Spring "Quit When Cigs Were 29¢" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • RGBHV
    Cold Turkey -

Quitting smoking is easy to do, I (most smokers) have done it many times...Ha! Ha!

My greatest success has been cold turkey. Last time, I quit for more than a year. A slip up over a beer sent me right back.

Personally, I think it's all about getting prepared - and I've spent a lot of time getting prepared!

It will be great to taste food again!

Michael
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    hopefully you have an easier time this time around. its almost socially acceptible to yell at anyone smoking nowadays, us non smokers have created a huge support group :laugh: was a guy parked next to me the other day holding a cig out the window up high, had to tell him to rollup the window :whistle:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RGBHV
    Thanks for the encouragement RIchard!

I've been preparing myself to quit for a long time. (well before FLA Fest) I know how important it is to be in the right mind set.

Although there's a financial incentive, I'm not quitting to save money. I'd be setting myself up for failure if that was the only reason.

It's certainly a great added bonus that will be spent on monthly encouragement rewards. Ha! Ha! Maybe some eggcessories or a new egg. We'll see.

Michael
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Good luck to you! I was able to quit cold turkey back in 2003.
  • RGBHV
    Thanks Leroy!

I'm not as concerned about the physical addition as I am about the habitual addiction. That's the tough part for me. I associate smoking with almost everything I do.

In terms of smoke rings, I'll be practicing on the egg to perfect them! Ha Ha!

Michael
  • tomo
    tomo Posts: 78
    I quit cold turkey a little over 30 years ago. Too late. I now have COPD. It is hard, but keep it up.
    You won't regret it.....tom
  • RGBHV
    Thanks Aaron.

Michael
  • RGBHV
    Thanks Tom:

Every time I think about giving up, I will refer back to your post. COPD is nasty - that's one of the reasons I want to quit.

Michael
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    YEA!!!!! This is really terrific news Michael!!!!! I am smoke free 5 years, in 15 days.
    Figure out what behavior you can replase the hand mouth habit with. I bought all the gums and patches. Ended up just chewing gum and giving all that stuff to potential quitters. I am still chewing gum. I am too stuburn not to have beaten it.
    I am cheering for you man!!! It'll be hard, trust yourself and know that you deserve this.
    You can do it!!! :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    COPD sux to have, I know.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    There are mountains to climb and it's a lot of work but what a view at the top!
    You can do it. Congrats on your decision. :cheer:
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Good for you!!

I quit 17 years ago and I've never looked back. As my dear wife so graciously pointed out, "You're only giving up cigarettes no one is cutting your balls off."

She was right. So do it for yourself and not for the people around you and it should work. Good luck and it's a great way to start the new year.
  • tomo
    tomo Posts: 78
    Molly....You are so right......tom
  •  
    Hey Michael

Good luck with the quiting, that's one tough monkey to get off your back. April 8 th will be 2 years for me. I quit because it just got to expensive, it was that simple. The governments taxed me right out of it. One of these days they are going to do the same thing with gas and I will have to get a horse or something. :laugh:

Take all the help you can get if you need it, there is nothing wrong with using any of the tools available. Pills help some people, hypnosis helps others, acupuncture others. I had to quit cold turkey but if I could have afforded it I would have taken any help I could have.

The one regret I have is putting on 50 pounds after quiting. I never dreamed that the smokes were such a strong apatite suppressant. Do anything and everything you can to avoid the weight gain. Exercise would be a great help, due to medical reasons I have a very difficult time finding exercises I can do and pay dearly for it. Now that our weather has warmed up again I will get the bike out this afternoon.

I agree with Molly, I have never been so stubborn with myself at any other time in my life. That was the greatest help I had and it came from me.

I still crave a smoke now and then but saying no is a lot easier. I still go in the same variety store where I always bought them but now I am amazed that people can spend so much money on them and it makes me feel great that the monkey is gone and I am not a slave to them anymore.

Our friends here on the forum are fantastic support, the family is here to help if we can.

Happy New Year to you and yours,

Blair

• RGBHV
    Thanks Molly!

Over the years I've tried everything you can think of to quit smoking. Oddly enough my greatest success was cold turkey.

So it's Cold Turkey with some patches close by just in case.

I'm just starting to feel my first craving now (14 hrs) - The next couple of days will be fun!

Michael
  • RGBHV
    Thank Clay!

I need to take up a hobby to keep my hands busy - wood working comes to mind.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Michael
  • RGBHV
    Thanks Sundown!

Michael
  • RGBHV
    Thanks for the encouragement Blair!

I know this is one of the toughest things that I'll ever have to do. I thought I was done the last time I quit. After more than a year of non-smoking, I was sitting on the deck having a beer and reached out for a smoke. Boom - right back at them.

Once a smoker, always a smoker - I guess!

Michael
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Good luck with it, probably the hardest thing for a smoker is to admit is they are addicted to a drug. The cig is just a delivery device for nicotine. When I quit a 3 pack a day habit I was using the patches and one day at work I became very disoriented, light headed, and confused. Then I saw my patch on the floor and realized it had fallen off an hour or so earlier. That was the moment I knew I was addicted to a drug and wanted no part of it. I quit using the patches and never touched another cigarette. -RP
  • Good for you :woohoo: :woohoo:
    Stick to it, it EZ, but it can be done!
  • Thats GREAT Michael, I know what you are going through. You well win this one!

Ross
  • Pjoe
    Pjoe Posts: 224
    Good luck with it. January 3 will be 5 years for me after 35 years of smoking. I used the nicotine patches as a crutch for several months. Now I never get too far away from a handful of sugar free Jolly Ranchers after dinner. ;) You can do it.

Bill
    LBGE AR SMALL BGE WOO RING
  • RGBHV
    RP - that's why I think cold turkey is the way to go. I've tried all kinds of treatments and they seemed to prolong the inevitable. (ie: I had to go throw the withdrawl)

Michael
  • RGBHV
    Thanks for the encouragement Ross.

The first couple of days will be the worst, but it will get better with time!

Michael