Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Marinating Prior To Freezing, Good/Bad?

dbCooper
dbCooper Posts: 2,061
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So my girlfriend brought home some ribs for Korean bbq. We marinated in a vacuum bag for about 3 hours before putting them on the Egg. They were good enough that we'd like to keep a supply in the freezer.

I came up with the bright idea of adding the marinade to the bag before we freeze them. Anyone done this before? Is it good idea or should I thaw, then marinade?

Would be more convenient to just thaw and have the meat all ready to go.

Kind regards,
dbCooper
LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
Great Plains, USA

Comments

• I think this may over marinate them, but there are probably differing opinions on this. Best way to find out, freeze one pack and try it out. Let us know how it turns out if you decide to try this eggs-periment.
  • Dave,

I do pork and chicken satays and freeze them. Short ribs will be fine. Don't think the marinade does much when frozen. Be careful the bones dont pierce the vacuum bag.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    eat marinated and frozen dear tips all the time, see no problem with the short ribs and a strong marinade like that
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Little Steven wrote:
    Dave,

Don't think the marinade does much when frozen. Be careful the bones dont pierce the vacuum bag.

Steve

I've had chicken and salmon frozen before and they were fine too. It will freeze quick enough and once frozen it ain't doing no penetrating. Enjoy. I'd like to get a vacuum sealer. Come to think of it. I need a vacuum. My wife burned up the roller in ours today. LOL.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I did it... once. Won't do it again. I think it was London Broil, but not sure. I do know it was beef of some sort though. Marinated two of them, cooked one, froze the other in a vac bag. The second was not even close to as good as the first.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    Thanks to all for the replies. I'll give it a try and post my impressions once we cook some that were frozen in marinade.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA