Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Try at Prime Rib

kmellecker
kmellecker Posts: 332
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I posted a couple of days ago about my first attempt at a prime rib and had my original problem solved , this is a timing question. I have a two rib 7# roast that I will be cooking at 225-250 and will pull at 115 degrees for a reverse sear at 500. Appreciate any insight.

Comments

• glenn
    glenn Posts: 151
    I smoked a 5 bone rib roast for Christmas dinner
    I used 3 chunks of hickory for the smoke
    I let the egg settle at 225
    It took approx 4.5 hours and I did no sear
    i pulled the roast at 130 wrapped in 2 layers of aluminum foil and let it rest in an igloo cooler for around 30 minutes
    I unwrapped the roast being carefull to save the drippings that accumulated in the foil and added those
    drippings to the ajus that I made for the

I used 1 can of cambells consume beef, 2 table spoons of Moore'S, 1 table spoon of butter and the drippings from the roast, then let the mixture simmer until reduces to roughly 1/2
    The roast was perfect medium and the ajus was good

I read about the sear in the begining of the cook or at the end

I have found no apparent advantage to the sear
    other than the Mallard effect that Alton Brown (food tv) speaks of
    if you use any spice rub or fresh seasonings it gets burnt during the sear process and becomes bitter or ashey
    I prefer no sear but that is my personal prefference
  • Thanks for the help and especially for the au jus tips. Sounds great.
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Look at Stikes post. (he didn't sear but it is aged beef which helps firm up the fat) Also if you season the roast I wouldn't sear it for fear of burning what you are using.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    as glenn mentions, you can get the Maillard effect without searing. i like browning, but you don't need to do a direct sear to get it, and you can do the roast at steadier temps, without rolling it on the grill, burning it (or the seasoning), or getting grill marks on it.

grill marks on a roast look a little odd to me
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • I read stike's post. Very impressive both in the aging process and the cook. I didn't see where he posted his approx cooking time. Guess I had better go back and reread. Thanks
  • I'm not familiar with the Mallard effect but I see your and crghc98's point on not searing. Makes sense. Any guess on when I should start checking my temp?
  • Kirk,

Be careful with time. For some reason stike's took a lot longer than what many have seen. This is possibly due to the aging process or operator impairment. I have found 25 to 30 minutes per pound at 250* to attain 120*

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    everything i read led me to think 20-25 minutes a pound. it did take much longer. not sure why....

usually the dry aged steaks cook quicker. not sure about the opposite effect of a roast.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • That's what I'm looking for. Thanks much Little Steve!
  • glenn
    glenn Posts: 151
    How did it turn out??
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Provided you are cooking indirect and have some separation between the roasts in the Egg, I'll guess 3 hours and 22 minutes for the cook time to reach 115°.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Extremely well. It was on a little under 4 hrs when I pulled it at 128 degrees. I let it rest about 20 minutes and it came out on the medium side of medium rare but the taste was fantastic. The real hit was your au jus that we adapted just a bit, as you can imagine with three women in the kitchen, but everyone just raved about the boost in flavor. Thanks for that one, it's already in my Egg recipe book.
  • You have a superb calculator. I hit 127 at 3 hrs 43 minutes and that's with the temp sneaking up to near 300 for the last 40 minutes while I was enjoying a Scotch with my son-in-law.