Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Starting the fire

Options
Philicious
Philicious Posts: 346
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am new to the BGE and have a large. So far I have been using the starter squares.

I am interested to hear how others light there lump and any tips y'all can offer.
Electric starter? Chimney starter? Any other thoughts or ideas?

Thanks.
Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.

Comments

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    I've gone through a couple propane torches that have done double duty for copper pipe work. Last one just died and I went the weed burner route. There are some natural firestarter gel products out there that work well. I've seen a lot of guys get those fireplace starter logs. and break them up into small pieces. You can twist a paper towel piece or small piece of napkin and dip it in cooking oil and go with that. I've even seen a method using rubbing alcohol. Last one that comes to mind is an electric firestarter. I quit that method when I forgot it once and melted it :whistle:

lots of options
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    MAPP torch...buy them at HD or Lowe's.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Upper left corner under 'search forum', type in lighting the egg.
  • Egg Master 3000
    Options
    Chimney starter is not worth the trouble for the egg. The charcoal lights easily in the egg and I never heard of anyone having to add lump to a cook.

I use paper towel/oil combo... but I am too cheap to buy other fire starting equipment :laugh:

No matter what you do, you should find that it is much easier to light than the kettle/briquette combo. And none of that nasty lighter fluid taste!
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    I've used the paraffin/sawdust sticks for years, but I'm about to become a propane/MAPP convert. I've used my hand-held torch several times in the last few weeks, and it is surprisingly fast and very even.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I use 91% rubbing alcohol from Walmart's Pharmacy. It is cheap, easy to light, and burns with no odor. The charcoal starts quickly and no need for flame throwers. Make sure to get the 91% type since the 70% one has too much water in it to burn well.

I poke a tiny hole in the seal with a pencil point and squirt a little in 4 places on the charcoal. Toss in a match and that's all there is to it.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    with a weed burner you can melt the ice on the driveway too.....until the wife catches you and yells anyway. It also does a good job trimming up grass growth onto the edge of the sidewalk while clearing ice and leaves a nice decorative blackened look to the grass :whistle:
  • eggcipient
    Options
    This is much better then the weed burner that uses a large gas bottle.

http://www.harrietcarter.com/lawn-garden_gardening-tools/garden-torch/
  • boston_stoker
    boston_stoker Posts: 794
    edited December 2011
    Options
  • stevesails
    Options
    Weed burner from Harbor freight. efficient and kinda fun.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Jumping Joe
    Options
    I am using a paper twisted towel with olive oil on for low and slow cooks. I use 91 percent isopropal alcohol for hot fires.....both work great for me...
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    I received a weed burner on Christmas from Harbor Freight. Will have to show my friends how to light a real grill!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    Options
    I use an electric fire starter ($7 from Menards), or paper towels soaked in Olive Oil. For home use I generally use the electric method. For tailgating, or when I take my small traveling, I use the paper towel method. I presoak the towels and put in a ziploc bag. Then I don't have to worry about finding electricity. Just place towels and use an Aim and Flame. Works perfect.
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    I'm in the roofing industry and we put down a certain type of roofing with a large propain torch....guess what I use. :laugh:
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    Bernz-o-matic MAPP torch!

Here is a link to their website..I got mine at Home Depot.

MAPP Torch
  • SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    I started off with the starter cubes like you are talking about, then switched to the MAPP torch technique. I like the torch, especially if I'm in a hurry, but I have pretty much been using the starter squares again lately. I don't mind waiting for the fire to get rolling most of the time, just gives me more time to relax with a cold beer.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    dhuffjr wrote:
    with a weed burner you can melt the ice on the driveway too.....until the wife catches you and yells anyway. It also does a good job trimming up grass growth onto the edge of the sidewalk while clearing ice and leaves a nice decorative blackened look to the grass :whistle:

Not to mention you can kill off those pesky fire ants pretty good.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• BigBadger
    Options
    I started by buying the chimney and sawdust cubes which work very well. I have since graduated to a Bernzomatic MAPP torch with a quick-on/off trigger button and I love it! The only thing I don't like is the popping and banging of the lump as I light it. I saw a shield that I should make and use, when I get time.

Any of the methods stated here on the forum work completely fine. But as with anything, do and buy what it takes to have fun while you are Egging! The more stuff (it really doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg) I get for the egg the more I enjoy the whole process. Several items I even made for the egg.

Have fun!
  • SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    Yeah that is one definite negative to the MAPP torch is the popping of the lump. I started putting my sunglasses on and wearing long sleeves to light it. IMO, it just makes for a much more relaxing experience overall to light a few starter squares(i break mine into thirds) and kick back in the driveway or garage and let it come to temp the patient way.

As I said though, I still use the torch if I need to get it going hot in a hurry, but I try not to be in a hurry when cooking out anyways. B)
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    I use the little starter squares for abot 3-4 weeks because the electric starter was not in stock. The electric starter is great if you have an outlet close by. I put the starter in and I am free to do whatever I want fot the next 5-7 minutes. Come back and lump is on fire. I still have 2 boxes of square starters; will use them if the egg is on the road or if there is a power outage. I tried alcohol and paper towels with oil. I'll take the electric starter.
  • Jimcamel
    Options
    I have a BGE here and a Traeger there...the hot rod in the Traeger failed as I guess they do and I started it on Christmas day for the turkey using hand sanitizer (seriously), because it was a gel, with a little bit of help from some 99% isopropyl alcohol and I let it burn for a while before cooking. Not necessarily recommended but just where do you buy fire starters at noon on Christmas Day ?
    Jim Camelford My BGE is in Florida ... my other stuff is in Canada I love BBQ and learning about it And, oh yeah, I also do photography