Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Premier Brisket - a Winner - ding,ding,ding!

Options
chocdoc
chocdoc Posts: 461
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Never having done a brisket on any sort of grill or BBQ before, and reading about how it was a difficult cook - it was with great trepidation that I started in to it.

I was using a 6 1/2 lb untrimmed brisket - flat and point - that I had brought back from Burt Farms on Manitoulin Island in the fall. The other brisket in the freezer from his farm was considerably more trimmed and only the flat - I'd asked him to refrain from trimming this one so it would have enough fat for moisture. In retrospect I could have done a bit of trimming on it - but on the positive side the fatty beef drippings will be pleasing my friend Anna for quite some time!

I had rubbed with Texas BBQ Original Rub - which was part of my wonderful elf gift from Lightnin' Bolt.

5307828091_dbd057bef3.jpg
DSCN2333 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

It was a late start - I suspect I figured the laws of physics don't apply to my cooks - but apparently they do. I put the brisket in at about 10:30 am, it stalled at about 2:30 having reached 159 degrees. By about 7:30 at night it had dropped to 151 F. It reached 180 F at about 10:30 pm and was about 185 by the time it was tender to the thermometer probe (which by the way only goes up to 180 - what's up with that).

5308416038_a40fe82ef4.jpg
DSCN2335 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

5308416090_1fffa358a5.jpg
DSCN2336 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

I had to stay up late enough for it to rest for about 30 minutes before I cut off a few slices to taste - perfect, moist, just what I expect brisket to be. I cut off a few more slices to pop in a ziplock for lunch today. This evening I was able to slice the cold brisket into nice thin slices and nuked under plastic for 20 to 30 seconds. A nice piled high brisket sandwich for hubby on a kaiser roll, some slices with horseradish for me.

The point was dismembered and cooked into burnt ends this evening.

5308416140_792cd8b6ae.jpg
DSCN2338 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

Comments