Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sugar Brisket

Options
BENTE
BENTE Posts: 8,337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i rememeber a post several years ago about sugaring a brisket. i think it was only a flat. i picked up a angus packer at the resturant depot in charlotte (still no american royal oak :angry: ). i am going to do this tomorrow morning so i was just going over some past threads in my head and i remembered someone sugaring a brisket overnight but dont remember much more. i have searched the archives but i still have not found it. anyone remember and have a link?????

thanks

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is your Christmas present. Santa Happy Holidays!

Beef, Brisket, Sugar Coated, Uncle Dave

Five hours total cook time and you can cut this with a plastic fork! Served 8 for lunch today and they just couldn't believe it. It was the finest brisket anyone would want.

Ingredients:
    3-5 lb Brisket
    1/4 cup favorite rub
    2 cups white sugar
    1 can beer
    1 onion

Directions:
    1 Coat Brisket with rub of choice over night.
    2 Next morning, pour 2 cups of white sugar over brisket. Hard to do but trust me. That night all sugar will have disappeared.
    3 Put on BGE Fat down 250 one hour.
    4 Then put in a v rack in drip pan, 1 hour more 250.
    5 Take brisket off and set it on a double sheet of foil. Form the edges into a crude bowl.
    6 Pour 2/3 of a beer on meat
    7 Slice an onion and throw it on too.
    8 Close top up with a third piece of foil.
    9 Return to grill for 3 hours at 200.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Beef, Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Author: Uncle Dave

Source: BGE Forum, Uncle Dave
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Sounds great but not sure I'm getting the timing right between applying the sugar and cooking. How long does the sugar remain on the meat? TIA~~
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    I have never done it this way, but my guesstimate is that the sugar dissolves with the liquid of the brisket and it all settles in the beer and onion in the end.
  • BENTE
    Options
    thanks richard....

sorry i forgot to call you back. things been a little hectic around here. as you can guess. but it is getting better i will try to call you this weekend when it is free ;)

is this the poolman way also???? doesn't he have a 5 hour brisket also?

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• pci
    pci Posts: 249
    Options
    ???does the sugar go on at night or in the morning
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    Next morning, pour 2 cups of white sugar over brisket.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Terry,

He has a cheater brisket. It isn't bad but it is cheating.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BENTE
    Options
    that must be what short people do.. but since you are taller than he is i am betting you don't do it often :laugh:

i hope the holidays are treating you and norma well.. happy new year to you both!!!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Misippi Egger
    Options
    Richard,

Do you think old Dave leaves the sugar on the brisket and back in the fridge for 'x' hours more, then cooks later in the day, or does he put the sugar on just before cooking?

It is a little confusing. :huh:

My guess would be put the sugar on and let it rest while the Egg is stabilizing, then put on for the first stage of the cook.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    To you too Brother!

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Richard Fl
    Options
    My guess is he puts the sugar on in the am and starts the cook within the hour????
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    How can you possibly remember ALL those recipes and where to find them?You are truly a King among Kings!Happy New Year my friend!Someday I'm gonna get that program and download all your recipes. :whistle::) :laugh:
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    I remember CWM posting about covering a brisket with white sugar. Never tried it myself.

Come up to Cincinnati. They have a pallet or two of RO at RD.
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    Forgot about this one.

Beef, Brisket, Car Wash Mike

No bark if you like that, this isn't for you.

INGREDIENTS:
    Raging River/Head Country mix and White Sugar over night.
    More Head Country in the morning.
    Put on at 12:30. Fat side down. 250.
    275 at 1pm.
    1:30 flipped.
    4:30 wrapped in foiled with (mixed in side) Liptons Beefy Onion soup mix/ 1 cup warm water/ 1 TBPS Cayenne pepper.
    Internal temp was 165 when wrapped.
    Pulled a 209 because guests were to entertaining.
    No pics of finished product. But it was an easy flat and turned out juicy and tender.

Procedure:
    1 Finished product on a simliar cook.
    2 Local meat cutter realy helps with slicing.

Recipe Type
    Beef, Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Car Wash Mike, 2007/09/11