Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Digi Q DX question?

Hungry in Lilburn
Hungry in Lilburn Posts: 756
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Santa was good to me and brought me a Digi Q DX for Christmas! Yeah! So, in my usual over zealous nature I went out today and bought a $30 brisket and just put it on. I have never cooked a brisket. So we put salt, pepper, and EVOO on it. Fired up the egg to 225 and put it on indirect with a platesetter and it is laying on a BGE rack an drip pan.

Now my question. I whipped out the instructions on the DX, decided they were way to complicated for my manly man nature and simply pressed the buttons and set the pit up to 225 and the meat to 145. Put the thermometer in the meat and clipped the firebox probe to the grid. Plugged it all up and watched the lights blink. After a heart attack inducing long wait the fan finally started blowing. But it cut off when the pit temp got to 185. Is this normal? Does it cut off early so that it doesn't over reach the setting? Do I just let it do its thing now? Do I really need to study the instructions and understand them? I just want to cook. I could bring my computer programming son down and have him show me what to do but that would be very annoying. Plus he would fuss because I am going to eat 11 lbs of red meat.

Also, does 145 sound like a good temp for brisket? I will do a forum seach on brisket and look for recommendations on meat temp.

Any setup advice on the DX is much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Comments