Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

help: Beef Tenderloin Roast Raised Direct

Options
LDD
LDD Posts: 1,225
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'd like to give this a go. after getting buried in the search results... good reading/pics of course

i'm looking for some tips on what temp to cook at with it raised.

it's 3.5lbs. and the grate will be up about 6-7" from standard direct level on the XL

thanks

LDD
context is important :)

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I cook mine at 375-400, turning every few minutes. I cook the BT until internal of 122-125 and let rest for 15 minutes in HDAF. Serve on crostinis with dijon mustard...mmmmm good

Slice on a bias to get tender pieces of meat....just my 2 cents... :)
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    I don't do mine direct. I use the platesetter and a drip pan. Cook with some wood chips at 250* dome temp until internal reads 120*. Then remove tenderloin, pan and PS, open vents to get 450-500* dome temp, the I sear the roast for 1 minute on each of 4 sides.
    Then foil and rest for 15 minutes. Final result will be medium rare, with the two end pieces being somewhat more done.
    I have done 4-5 like this and they turn out superb!
  • No Trash
    Options
    The last one that I did was direct on the XL at standard height. The dome temp was about 350 to 400. I pulled it at rare and let it sit a few minutes.

:P
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC09732a.jpg

I season mine with a coating of Lockhart style seasoning (salt, pepper, cayenne) and sometimes I add some lemon pepper. I cooked 'em at 250° over a heat shield until the internal just passes 100° which takes about 45 minutes. Then I remove the pan, open the lower vent and finish off raised direct for around 15 minutes. This sets the color, and I remove it when the internal passes 123°. Then rest for 10 minutes.

I generally make an au jus and reduce it, as tenderloin does not have a real "beefy" flavor on it's own.

The tenderness on these is always good, but the low pit temps and the end sear (Finney method, reverse sear, whatever you want to call it) is one of my favorite finishes. Look at the even doneness....

DSC09704a.jpg

DSC09724a.jpg

DSC09731a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    thanks for all the great tips...
    context is important :)
  • thegrillster
    Options
    Here is something to try.

Stabilize the egg at 500. Put the meat on for 9 minutes. Then shut the egg down completely.

Use a meat temp probe to pull at appropriate temp for your liking.

I am thinking after you shut down the egg it will be about 1 1/2 hours for rare(pink not bloody).

DO NOT OPEN THE EGG DURING THIS PERIOD.

It should come out perfect.