Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Guava wood???

Options
Dave
Dave Posts: 163
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone know of anywhere on the web where I can purchase guava wood chips or chunks?? Thanx!!!

Comments

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    dave,[p]guavawood.com seems to have some. Can't personally vouch for prices/quality of their product, I just still get a kick out of how most times these days if you want to find something on the web, just type in www.whateveryouwanttofind.com and it seems to almost always "work."[p]Easily amused,
    Cornfed[p]PS - Hope everyone has a glorious BBQ day! We'll be cooking up some ribs and some other items a little later (one of those pinwheels is definitely goin' on).

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Cornfed & Dave,[p]That link is to Guava Wood Farms, which is (was?) the family business of Greg Kemp who was active on the Forum in its early days. [p]I haven't ordered from him recently but the product is first-rate & has a wonderful flavor. The only downside is shipping charges from Hawaii. I'm not aware of any other source, though.[p]Cathy
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Cornfed, I think that is the only source available to us "MainLanders". Gregg Kemp (Guava Wood) in our visitor profiles is a old timer here on the forum. His product as well as his "Hawaii" expertice is missed. Anyone corresponding with him, mention "da-Forum" here. Maybe we can get him back again...Cheers, and thanks for the reminder.
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Cat, Wow..that was close..Again, we think alike..
    C~W

• Cat
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]Stereo! [p]Maybe I'll dip into my guava hoard for the spareribs I'm doing tonight.[p]Cathy
  • Cornfed
    Options
    Cat,[p]Just looked at his profile and sure enough there is a link to the site.[p]In general, what types of meat are best with guava wood? I almost exclusively use hickory and mesquite since they're what's easily availble in my area but I'd be interested in trying something new.[p]Thanks,
    Cornfed

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Cat, ya really know how to hurt a guy sweetie...heeeeee. Enjoy..I am a bystander on guava wood. Wish Gregg would show up again, and I would order a big bag.
    Cheers, happy cookin!!
    C~W[p]

• Cat
    Options
    Cornfed,[p]I mix it with hickory for pork; with pecan for chicken. (I like fruit-'n'-nut combos.) It's also good solo with chicken.[p]The only thing that didn't work for me was beef; I prefer red oak or sugar maple there.[p]Cathy
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Cat:[p]When you use guava wood, just how much do you use? Do you have Greg's chunks or chips?[p]I bought a large box from him last year that I have hardly used. I am going to use some on the second batch of ribs to be cooked this afternoon and need some direction. I understand too much can leave a bitter taste.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Cornfed,[p]You're right about that www. ??? .com stuff. Just the other day I wanted some info on the Clinton's - so I went to www.whitehouse.com --- yep, that was the Clintons I guess. heheheehe weeeee![p]Monica
  • Cat
    Options
    Hi Darryl -[p]I've never had a problem with bitterness. I like lots of smoke, so for a pork butt I'll use 2 guava chunks & maybe 4 hickory. On ribs maybe 1 and 2.[p]The guava chips I have are good-sized (Greg also used to do a much smaller size, mostly for stove-top smokers) and don't burn up as fast as most chips. Often I'll add a handful of those at the beginning of a long cook to get some heavy smoke early on; the hickory chunks kick in a little later.[p]Cathy
  • Cornfed
    Options
    Tim M,[p]That's the classic example of someone grabbing a name similar to a very popular domain name with fiendish intent. For those out there who don't know, the real url is http://www.whitehouse.gov. Whitehouse.com contains some, how do you say this discreetly, "shady content" (ie - this is a site you might want to block your children from visiting).[p]I'm surprised someone hasn't shut this operation down a long time ago. High volume sites often register not only their own desired names (yahoo.com, priceline.com) but also some close typos (try http://www.yahooo.com or http://www.pricelibe.com).[p]Geekfed