Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

whole turkey breast

Options
mo egg
mo egg Posts: 143
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
plan on cooking a whole turkey breast would like to know what is the best way? slow smoked or cook at higher temp. thanks for any replys

Comments

• mo egg
    mo egg Posts: 143
    Options
    found out my question on search forum
  • boston_stoker
    Options
    Edited: nevermind, it looks like you beat me to it.

If you search the forum, there are over 1,000 posts on this topic. I know the search function is a bit convoluted on the forum, but once you learn how to work with it, it is not too bad. I have posted the link to my search, so you can see how.

Good luck with your cook, and don't forget to take some pics. We like pictures.
  • srq2625
    srq2625 Posts: 262
    Options
    I'm no expert - just getting started myself, but here's my understanding:

If you are going to smoke the bird and if you want to get a smoke ring, then lower temps will bring the meat temp up slower, allowing the chemical reaction that creates the smoke ring more time to do it's thing. The down side is that you might end up with rubber for skin. However, I'm thinking that if you finish up with higher temps and/or direct heat that might crisp up the skin - don't know if this will work as I imagine it, just thinking out loud here.

On the other hand, if you aren't smoking then there's no real benefit to the low-and-slow as there's not much fat on a turkey breast to render :), so 300°F to 350°F might be the ticket.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    I've had good results roasting hot at 400 degrees dome indirect setup. All poultry gets roasted hot at my place, I get juicy chicken this way and the turkey is more moist as well.
    Good luck and have fun!
  • BostonEggSox
    Options
    I just did 2 whole 7# breasts using the MadMax method and they came out wonderful.

I went indirect @ 325 degrees with 2 handfuls of Applewood for a wonderful light smoke flavor. I used a grocery store aluminum drip pan on the feet and on top of plate setter. This was filled about .5" deep with water and the quartered apple. I used a $9 bottle of Bogle Chardonnay.

Becasue they are breasts the cavities were a bit tricky to fill. However, placed in a v-rack, cavity to cavity, nothing fell out. Just be careful to position them so the dome thermometer does not puncture a bird.

Pull the birds at 160 internal meat temp and cover with foil for 30 minutes while you make the MadMax gravy as directed (with one mod)!! One modification is that you don't have to burn the drippings off. Just bend the cheap aluminum pan and all the wonderful black crust will flake off for you to use in your gravy on the skillet with melted butter.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    mo egg, I recently did a low sodium flavor brine.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1999/07/brining_29.html

I brined two fresh turkey breasts and two wild turkey breasts. I also trimed them like this.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1997/04/turkey-breast-preparing-for-roasting.html

I cooked these indirect at 250F dome until internal temp reached 160F. I cooked one for Cindy and I and one for our close elderly neighbors and the two wild breasts went to my brother inlaws employer. Everyone gave me the best turkey cook. They were very very flavor full and juicy...my head got so big I could not walk through my door ways. :P :P