Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large Stone on XL Egg?

Options
eggzlot
eggzlot Posts: 93
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am asking out of curiosity, but I am in the market to buy a pizza stone, and will likely go with the BGE version.

I read threads about people fry their gaskets because of a combination of going too hot and there is too small of a gap between the stone and side of the egg/gasket area.

I already have the XL Plate setter (will use legs down) and will used rolled up foil or something as spacers, but...

I do not plan on making 20"+ pizzas, so could I just use a large pizza stone on the XL Plate setter? Figured that gives plenty of space between the stone and gasket too for proper air flow, but maybe it is too much airflow?

The Large are a few dollars cheaper, smaller so easier for storage in my BBQ tool area and maybe safer for the gaskets? But not sure if there are any negatives I am missing (other than just less surface space)

Thoughts?

Comments

• howmeisterg
    Options
    For me, I am waiting for the ceramicgrillstore.com to offer their new stone for the XL. Not sure of the diameter of BGE's stone, but I definitely trust Tom's design - It is supposed to be 17.5" in diameter. Plenty narrow to allow air space around it, but large enough for a good size pizza.
  • eggzlot
    Options
    I had that thought, but we are cooking pizzas for a large group for NYE. Was hoping his design would be out by then, but it's not. I am sure I could use the stone in the future for baking breads and stuff, so I could still go with some rig from CGS down the line, but looking for something to use Friday night.
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    The LGE stone works great in the XL. You just can't make XL pies. It is all I have and works fine. I have seen where Bobby Q uses his with legs up and the regular grid then the stone on the grid. This gives enough clearance and saves you some spacers. Here is my setup from theCeramic Grill store. There is nothing magical about cooking pizzas, just need the right combination of heat, ingredients, dough type, and time.

platesetter with flip ring.

3-7-08002.jpg

3-7-08013.jpg

I use this setup for all my pizzas and it works just fine. Here is a different cook.

Pizza005.jpg
  • MCR
    MCR Posts: 270
    Options
    The XL pizza stone is about 2" wider than the Platesetter. It must have an impact on the air flow.

I do like Mike set-up. I use copper "T" and elbow to elevate the pizza stone from the platesetter.
    Marc
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    That looks amazing.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • No Trash
    Options
    The thing that I like about the the XL stone is that I can make 2 1/2 moon shaped pies at a time. (We are a family of 4 and we make 4 custom pies for each person). As for air space I use several 1/4 inch copper pipe sections left over from a plumbing project. I have put a small bend in the middle of each pipe to prevent them from rolling on the plate setter.

I like the extra room on the XL stone.

Enjoy yourself.... it is just pizza... B)B)