Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Newbie looking for advice

Mr. EggardsonMr. Eggardson Posts: 4
edited 10:27AM in EggHead Forum
Hello All -

This is my first post. I just got a Large Egg for Christmas and I am ready to do some smoking. What are your suggestions for my first time out smoking. I have grilled a few times with wonderful results. I am looking for meat, type of chips, temp and time.

Thank you all!

Mr. Eggardson

Comments

• Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 8,093
    Welcome to the "CULT". Chicken of any sort is a great starter. I like apple wood or pecan with poultry. Try to keep the temp below 375F for the first few times as it allows the gaskets to set without getting messed up.

Here are a few ideas. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes2.htm#chicken

LONEY is a great early cook also. hehe. You will find out about as time progresses.
  • Mr HollowayMr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Welcome and congrats
    The search engine has a wealth of info on any/all questions.
    Get ready for some fun :)
  • BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
    For smoking the first time I would suggest "country ribs". Try finding wood chunks instead of chips. Go 250-275 dome temp, either raised direct or indirect for about 2-2.5hrs.
  • Thanks so much! I am going to give it a shot.
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 10,173
    Richard Fl wrote:
    it allows the gaskets to set without getting messed up.

hahahaha. good one, Richard! :laugh:

I will not eat oysters. I want my food dead. Not sick, not wounded... dead.

Woody Allen

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• boston_stokerboston_stoker Posts: 794
    edited December 2011

• My first "smoke" was baby back ribs. It's one of my favorite meats but something I had never attempted to cook before.

I really like Car Wash Mike's recipe (easy to find on search engine)...as do most folks on this forum.

I cooked a batch of baby backs today...and have posted pics under "baby backs, grilled veggies and margaritas".

Enjoy!

SchmeeTex
  • DRUNKEN CHICKENS!! AKA Beer Can Chicken.
  • THANKS Boston Stoker - I have a year's worth of dinners without even having to think!
  • Wow...is there a way to save this post to always have ready access to the recipe links you included?