Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New home for new eggs and a question

Options
WindsorEgg
WindsorEgg Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Brought these home the other day, now they're snug in they're new home. It may only be a temporary home as the plan is to build an island in the yard to house them, but that's gotta wait until spring. The table isn't quite done yet either, my brother and I put it together in about an hour today. Assembly of the small was a PITA, it was tough to get it to seal evenly.

IMG_0405.jpg

Anyone see a problem with the vinyl soffit above the eggs? I've seen pictures that make me wonder if I should put some galvanized or stainless sheeting up there.

First cook tonight on the small, I think it'll be a rib steak.

Aaron.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    Aaron,

Getting a seal isn't bad if you can get a dollar bill. Hard as hell with loonies.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Susan Egglaine
    Options
    they look happy in their new home ;):)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I would look more at the railing next to the large. Think it would be fine, just keep an eye on it.
    As for the top: see not problem.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I use flat loneys they work the best.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    personally I would not leave those eggs there that close to the plastic! You're asking for trouble IMO. Once you experience a flashback and see that huge fire ball you'll be a believer. Even if you kept your temperatures low there's a good chance that plastic will discolor.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Congrats on the new toys!! I don't know about the vinyl as the closest thing I have to worry about is, well, the MOON! And it's almost never directly overhead! :) But it would make me nervous if I had vinyl that close to something that hot. Perhaps others will chime in.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    You can plan on that vinyl turning black over time.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • WindsorEgg
    Options
    There have been two propane grills in the same spot. The folks who were here before us warped the vinyl... our propane grill never did more damage. If I can eek it out until spring, I'm golden.

@Mickey: Why the railing? I see loads of tables with wood that's closer than that railing.

Aaron
  • SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    I'm a builder and I can tell you that I would NOT put my eggs under vinyl like that. The stainless you are talking about putting up will help with discoloration of the vinyl itself, but the problem I would have with that is that if you do any high temp cooks that heat will heat that metal very hot, and it would hide any problems that might need attention like the metal starting to melt the vinyl.

I have seen houses numerous times where the homeowners put gassers too close to vinyl siding(behind the grill) and the vinyl buckles and melts, and a gas grill doesn't get near as hot as an Egg rolling at 750+ degrees. Just my opinion.

One thing you could do is put some stainless or something up as a heat shield like you are talking about, but leave it several inches from the vinyl and not touching anything else that is combustible.

One other thing I would do it put down a grill mat on that decking to catch any embers that come out and fall down, they even come out of the lower vent sometimes. Pretty sure there is at least one member here that has burned down their home due to that same thing happening.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    The railing, because of sparks when lighting and flashbacks.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • WindsorEgg
    Options
    Oi, burned down? Yikes. I'll move them tomorrow... bit of a pain, but loads less hassle than the alternative. They'll be uncovered, so I guess I'll get some vented covers.

Thanks for your experiences.

Aaron.
  • thegrillster
    Options
    I think that is a problem waiting to happen. I have had fire coming out the top of my egg that went that high let alone the amount of heat that will be generated.
  • RRP
    Options
    Hello from across the river in Dunlap...you have an email via this board.
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    Don't worry about covers. As long as you have them closed and the ceramic cap on you should be good. Some cover, some don't. But if you plan to eventually have them in an island or something like that don't waste your money on covers that won't fit eventually. They will be fine.

ps - I am a staunch coverererererer
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    agreed. I am a staunch NON-coverer. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WindsorEgg
    Options
    RRP wrote:
    Hello from across the river in Dunlap...you have an email via this board.

If that was directed at me, I never got it.

Everyone else, I moved my eggs this morning... only thing above them now is the moon.

Aaron.
  • RRP
    Options
    Not sure what "view" you are using, but I use the classic and my post was directed to thegrillster who apparently just lives 20 miles from me across the Illinois river.

PS glad you took our collective advice about moving your eggs!