Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Cast iron grid users?

BullyQueBullyQue Posts: 48
edited 12:56AM in EggHead Forum
I purchased a LBGE cast iron grid. What would be the best way to handle the heavy grid? The gripper tool at the dealer would hardley even grab onto the cast iron grate. I have a feeling that I will have to put it in well before the grill gets hot.

Comments

• Jupiter JimJupiter Jim Posts: 1,625
    Hi BullyQue,
    You need one of those ThreeFinger tools from here.
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/10/thirdhand-grate-lifting-hanging-tool.html
    Great product from a great Egger.
    He does have three eyes, I saw a picture of him. :)
    Jupiter Jim
    I'm only hungry when I'm awake!
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    I think his thirdeye is a differn't color than the other two eyes. If you don't believe me just ask me!
  • Jupiter JimJupiter Jim Posts: 1,625
    Hey Buddy, hope ya had a great Christmas.
    I think you are correct, but I don't remember for sure. :laugh:
    Jupiter Jim
    I'm only hungry when I'm awake!
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 8,673
    Go to a store that sells gardening supplies. I've been using this for over a year - works perfectly.

4576460558_2ca20cf960_b.jpg

Everybody knows there’s three acceptable condiments for a hot dog; there’s mustard, onions and stagnant cart water! That’s IT!   ... Jon Stewart

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I think that one looks like a winner.
  • Hungry JoeHungry Joe Posts: 1,184
    I use the gripper backwards and have no problems. Try it and if you can't figure out what I mean I will try to post a picture.
  • RRPRRP Posts: 16,118
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    I think I'd be in the market for a shear pin or two! Hahahaha

Everybody knows there’s three acceptable condiments for a hot dog; there’s mustard, onions and stagnant cart water! That’s IT!   ... Jon Stewart

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I did not think of that one. The dealer was trying to get me to use it like pliers. I told him he must be trying to sell me a new fire ring after I drop it. It would work like that though.
    I haven't dropped my large CI grid yet, for what that's worth. Always a first time I suppose, but the garden rake is cheap ($5 maybe?) and I've used it for a year, maybe more, and haven't ever felt like it was risky. Very solid feeling. Also, by the way, I use my CI grid for every cook - so I use the rake a lot.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• CrueznCruezn Posts: 317
    I use the handle from my turkey frier. It's kinda triangle shaped with a hook on the bottom. It works for me.
    Hey Jim, We did have a great Christmas. I hope you all did as well. ;)
  • Big Green Egg has a new grid lifter for the cast iron grid, works real well. But not all dealers will have them in yet. When I first got my cast iron grid I used the ash tool to pick it up and a heat proof mit to steady it.
  • Exactly what I also do, works perfectly
  • I just use the grid lifter also. Turn it and it will get under and lift with no problems. The thirdeye lifter looks nice and I want one but the other works so easy it's hard to justify buying one right now.
    I don't know if you have a wiggle rod but, I do and thirdeye makes them as well. While I find both tools invaluable I did make them myself. I use my wiggle rod all the time. So, when you do have a notion to get a wiggle rod you can pick up the third hand as well. Tim

http://thirdeyebbq.com/WiggleRods.aspx
    http://thirdeyebbq.com/ThirdHand.aspx