Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rub question: Sugar use

Options
Fornia
Fornia Posts: 451
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been reading up a bit on making rubs. Especially rubs for ribs/pork.

Seeing reference to Brown Sugar for sweetening things up. I've always been under the impression that Turbinado sugar was preferred for BBQ.

I can't seem to find Turbinado near me, but I do have Demerara.

Any suggestions on adding sugar, as well as, which type is preferred?

Any other pointers/tips greatly appreciated! This is for our little Que Year's Eve bash on Fri., so I want to impress. B)

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    demerara and turbinado are virtually the same thing.

they are partially refined sugar retaining some of the natural molasses whereas brown sugar is fully refined white sugar and then they add some molasses back to it. the amount of molasses added determines if it is light brown or dark brown.

The molasses flavor is more distinct in brown sugars, but in general they all work well in rubs.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    it's all good.

lots of claims that turbinado burns at a higher temp. that's hooey. it's always something your buddy heard from "some guy".

in reality, anything other than refines white sugar is still essentially 99.9% sucrose. so pick based on your flavor preference (dark/light brown sugar, or white), not whether it will burn or not.

never understood the claims against the turbinado burning at a higher temp. if so, what temp then? anyway, it's got more impurities than refined white, and i can't think of anything with MORE impurities which doesn't actually burn at a lower temp. think cooking oil, for example.

i use turbinado because of the larger grains. by volume, it is a little less sugar, a little less sweet. brown sugar in the rub is good too.

hell, in the end, it doesn't matter. :laugh:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I don't know much about sugar, except that it's sweet. However, this is available in all of the grocery stores around here and is labeled "raw" sugar. Fine print says it's Turbinado...

brooklynpremium_2080_720268

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Fornia
    Fornia Posts: 451
    Options
    Thanks guys! Appreciate the information, and now have a much better understanding.

When looking at rub ingredients, I'm basically seeing alot of the same stuff from one recipe to another.

I've got a great local place(Echo Hill Country Store -Fleetwood, PA) which sells spices in bulk, great resource for me. But I really stayed with the standards I viewed...paprika, blk pepper, red pepper, cumin, onion/garlic powder, etc.

My highlight was picking up powdered lemon juice. :whistle:
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    they make (or used to make, anyway) a big point on their website that it isn't "raw" sugar, despite the name.

it's actually fully refined white sugar reglazed with some cane juice.

but what the heck, it still works. :laugh:

they make no health or "natural benefits" claims, either, which is telling
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    First and foremost....I am NO expert here!
    What I can share, is that sugar will burn and a sharp eye, a lower temperature, or both may be needed.
    I know that sounds WAY simple, but it is WAY simple!
    And as long as you're asking; I use brown sugar in my rub blends. Still...The higher the sugar content, the closer the need to keep close watch!
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    We have a lot of Amish bulk food stores around here and they all sell raw sugar which is what I use in the rubs I mix. You're not too far from me - perhaps you have a similar store around you.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA