Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Butt Worries Gone

Sundown
Sundown Posts: 2,980
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, so I worry about things I shouldn't. thanks to Tim M, Cat and JJ I sleapt most of the night. Got up stirred the coals and having cawffee now. Internal temp at 175* with dome temp at 225* - 250* (having trouble getting it stabilized after stirring) Just under 5 hours left to go and Carey's a happy camper.
The smell of Mr. Butt in the still morning air is AWSOME!
Thanks to all for help...I know its going to be great!
Carey

Comments

• Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Sundown,[p] Eggcellent! I wasn't so lucky. Got up this morning after sleeping through the alarm I set (wanted to check on things at 0400, but for some reason my body didn't play along with me :-0). Jumped out of bed at the usual 0530 instead and checked. Fire completely out. Damned if the fire didn't burn right in just half my egg. All the coal on the left was gone, all the coal on the right untouched. Pretty cool, though -- loked like one of those forest fire pitures showing both side of a firebreak! Anyway, I got it going again and things are looking good. Plenty of time left. [p]MikeO
  • AbqEgg'r
    AbqEgg'r Posts: 91
    Sundown,
    I'm in the process of cooking my second butt, so this is not the voice of experience speaking (I'm sure some others will jump in). Why did you stir the coals, did your temperature drop off? All the recipes and tips I've read say once you close the lid, don't open it until Mr. Piggy is done. My 7lb butt has been on 14 1/2 hours at a dome of 200-220. Polder has been stalled for some time right around 140..just bumped the dome up to 230.[p]Just a thought. TR

• Sundown
    AbqEgg'r,
    Dome temp had dropped and a quick stir did the trick. I've got a slow learning curve. Sure smells good though!
    Carey

• Sundown
    MikeO,
    I've got to work on building the fire and managing the heat. Everytime I think I have it down it (Humpty) goes left when I expect him to go right. Polder just hit 200* and I still have another 30 min or so. Gonna split the tme and wrap the puppy in foil for a while.
    Good eating
    Carey[p]

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Sundown,
    If your Polder is reading 200* pull the butt, wrap it in foil and place it an empty ice chest until time to serve.

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Sundown,[p]Congratulations!! First-time worries are part of the process. The first time I did a butt I hovered over the Egg constantly...took days to get the smell of hickory out of my skin. ;-}[p]I've found it very helpful to keep detailed notes: the meat's weight & thickness, preparation, cooking method, hourly readings on dome temp & meat temp, results. [p]Enjoy the feast -[p]Cathy