Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baking bread and such...Question

Photo Egg
Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Question for the bakers.
When you toss on your bread, cake, pie do you open your vents a little to bring your temps back up or just let your Egg do it's thing and balance as it starts to warm up your baked goods?
Thanks,
Thank you,
Darian

Galveston Texas

Comments

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Egg temp should be stable with everything in place for 30-40 minutes before you put the "bread" in... don't touch anything - Egg will do the rest... the "hot soak" of the ceramic will recover the temp super quick...
    Kent Madison MS
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    As long as you've preheated sufficiently the temp should come right back up.

I stabilize it before I add the dough so I don't touch anything once I plop it in there to cook. (unless the recipe calls for a temp drop or rise after a certain amount of time)
  • My wife does all the baking on her Large, but from what I've noticed, her temp drops are minimal and short, even when added a large mass like a loaf in a ceramic loafpan.

She preheats her Egg at cooking temp with the plate setter in for at least 15 minutes. That seems to hold the temp.

Hope that helps.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Photo Egg
    nm
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Does the same thing apply to meat?, when your egg has been stabalized at 250deg. You put your meat on and the temp. drops, will it eventually come back up or do u need to adjust? I put a butt on once and 45min. later the temp still had not come back up. Just wondering..
  • Photo Egg
    On "hunk o meat" low and slow cooks I bump the vents open a little and then back closed as the Egg comes back to temp.
    Was not sure on quicker cooks with breads and such.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Once my Egg has stabilized, no matter what I'm putting on, I DON'T touch the settings when I put it on to cook... The Egg always recovers and the cook turns out as planned...
    When I first started Eggin, I would chase temps and get so frustrated... someone here on the forum said, "Stabilize and trust it to recover" --- they were so right!
    Kent Madison MS
  • Thanks Photo bucket, and bbq Maven..