Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thank you Elfsters, Kent & Shelagh!

Options
Dimple's Mom
Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I picked up your package from the P.O. this afternoon and all I can say is thank you! We love everything!!!

I have a funny story to tell you about jalepeno jelly. A good friend in Calif used to always give us a jar at Christmastime. We never liked it (or thought we didn't) so we always threw it away. Then we moved to Wash and I went to a Tastefully Simple party and had some and LOVED it. Then I became a TS rep for a while and we had it fairly often. But not since I stopped being a rep for them. Hubby and I have often commented how sad it is that now that we love jalepeno jelly, we never get it anymore! In fact we were just talking about it at Thanksgiving dinner. So we are so thrilled to have some homemade stuff (so much better than store bought!). I've never tried the chipotle jelly so am looking forward to that. (You don't seriously put it over peanut butter, do you? I've never heard of doing that, but now that you bring it up, it does sound like it'd work.)

I have the cream cheese all ready to go and we're saving it til tomorrow when my oldest gets here with his gf. We have been holding off on our celebrating until then.

I am also a HUGE taffy fan. I almost always have taffy in a candy dish. So you really did choose perfectly! Dh is enchanted with the thermometer and wanted to use it right now on the meatloaf but alas, the meatloaf is just about ready so we'll save the therm for its inaugural run tomorrow or the next day.

Thanks again for everything. What flavor are the suckers? They look like maybe cinammon. I'm thinking to take them with me to my next movie outing.

What is your handle here on the forum? I have a link to my Christmas letter on my blog over in the off topic forum.

Thanks, Elfsters! And Happy Holidays!!!

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Options

I am so sorry the package didn't arrive until today. There are lots of recipes on the net which is where I started out. 70# of sugar and over 150 jalapenos later and obviously late in getting out my present to you I got the jelly to where it is now. I also took that same recipe and made the suckers, peanut brittle (which is in a huge mound of hard candy. I didn't realize it would all stick together if stacked. So the Grand Kids and I are chiseling of pieces here and there as the days go by.

Now the suckers... I am not sure what flavor you got. I made some jalapeno cinnamon (liquid and powder), sweet jalapeno, jalapeno Ancho and jalapeno chipolte. Again I had never pored lollipop molds so things got a little dicey and some over pored. Not sure if I would use this as a movie treat, who knows you may or may not like, but I hope you will give it a try.

Glad you like the taffy and the thermometer.

My first impression with the jelly was to toss it out too. That is until I gave it a try. Yup, with peanut butter. You need to experiment with the amount you use. None of this stuff is 'hot' if I had to rank it it would be mild and the smoked would be 'not so' mild, but mild.

This morning we mixed some jelly with cream cheese and used it on some different flavored bagels, that was really good.

Enjoy!

Your elf.

GG
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    It was well worth the wait! My whole family loves the jellies. We require the recipes for both, please. My middle son is esp in love with them. (Is eating some right now.) And you're right - it is good on peanut butter!

We can't decide which one we like best. We keep taking bites of one, then the other, then the other, trying to decide.

That is a lot of sugar and jalepenos! What happened with the first batches, did it not set?

Still haven't worked up the nerve to try the suckers. :P