Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ground Venison question

Options
Kokeman
Kokeman Posts: 822
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My brother gave me some venison and I am going to grind up about 8 pounds of the trimmings. Do I mix it with pork or beef? Or do I keep it all venison? I'm wanting to make chili and other dishes that calls for hamburger. I was concerned if it is straight deer the taste might be to gamy for the wife and kids.

Comments

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    Most gamy flavor comes from poor processing and improper handling after the kill...
    Kent Madison MS
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I get beef fat from the butcher and mix that with the venison.I go at a 70% venison 30% beef fat ratio.You could use pork fat as well.You DEFINITELY wanna add something.
  • ranger ray
    Options
    go 50/50 with pork and venison...if you want to make a nice blend.... get rid of all the silver skin in the deer meat and use the pork fat that comes with ever you buy,,,, it will compensate for the leanness of the deer meat.... ( honest).... yu will love it! ////rr
  • 1st5
    1st5 Posts: 14
    Options
    Get some pork fat from the butcher. Probably one part pork fat to four parts venison. This is how I grind it and how I make my sausage too. Slice the pork fat about an half inch to one inch strip and chop it to little chunks. Do the same with the venison. Mix it well together and feed the grinder. Actually that's how I do my sausage...you can grind it seperately and mix it together for ground. Either way works. As a lean meat don't cook it as long as you would 80/20 ground beef or you will dry it out. This will make great meatloaf, burgers, lasagna, chili, red meat sauce, taco meat.

The gamey taste would be from poor field care. When I kill my deer I take very good care from the field, to the skinning shed, and on to my walk in cooler where it ages for a week before I butcher it myself. No gamey taste at all.
  • ranger ray
    Options
    once mixed with the pork.... the gameness will be of no significance...
  • ranger ray
    Options
    i concur.... you sir are skilled artisan....
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    I mix with roughly 10% beef FAT. If the deer meat is some good stuff, you won't believe the burgers you can make.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Personally...
    If you have "good" venison, meaning that as much "as humanly possible" of the tallow is gone, you need mix it with nothing, at this point.
    A lean venison has a great flavor....perhaps dry, BUT....Great flavor.
    Depending on what you are going to make with it, you may want to add pork or beef. A stand along meat dish (meat balls, meat loaf, patties for a bun....) will need a bit of fat. A stew, gravy, chili, Ragu, Maid-Rite, sorts of things will really benefit from a good lean meat as is......
    As mentioned....The processing is everything! Hang it in a tree for a week or two, never trim the tallow and in my mind it is dog food at best!
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    Options
    I like to mix mine with 25% pork and 25% beef. That has been the best mix for my family (ok wife). We use it for everything, burgers, chili, spaghetti etc. Good stuff.
  • THA
    THA Posts: 198
    Options
    For chili, try not grinding it but instead cut the venison into small cubes (little 1/2 inch pieces of meat) sear and then make your chili. I personally don't like ground meat chili. You might have to add a small amount of fat but not much.

ALSO, LEAVE OUT THE DAM BEANS!!!!!!
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    In a previous post I mentioned "Maid-Rite"...Here is my prep. method for it.
    Really if you like a steamed meat sandwich....And the flavor of venison, this is REALLY GOOD! ;);)
    If you do it on the Egg with some smoke-wood, you may not want to add the smoke flavor.

MADE-RITE
    Dad's Kitchen
    From JB

Per pound of ground meat.
    (beef, pork, venison...Combinations...)
    1 T. oil
    1 Med. onion, grated
    1 T. garlic, minced (about 6 small cloves)
    3 T. soy sauce
    2 T. Worcestershire
    1 t. paprika (sweet or smoked)
    1 t. ginger, grated / prepared
    Salt and pepper to taste (about 1/2 t. each)
    1/2 t. liquid smoke

1)) Heat the oil, onion and garlic, making a good sweat. Add the meat and cook, covered, until done (brown).

2)) Add all the remaining ingredients, cover and simmer for about 5 minutes.

3)) Uncover, continue to cook off most to all the remaining liquid. Adjust seasoning (salt and pepper) and serve on a nice bun.
  • SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    10% BEEF FAT!! It's a must!