Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket and temps

Options
Buster Dog BBQ
Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Over the last couple weeks I have seen a lot of brisket post and a lot of those people were pulling at 180-190. folks, let that thing go to 195-197 if not a little more. I can tell you a 180 sliced brisket and 197-200 are not the same. A perfect brisket slice should be able to fold almost in half across your finger if you slice it the width of a pencil. You should also be able to pull a brisket slice side to side and it should expand to see through parts but not break. Just try it once.

Also, trim the fat off. Fat takes time to cook and break down. No need to cook 3lbs of fat that is getting cut off and thrown out anyway. Where the biggest chunks of fat are aren't going to help keep your brisket moist.

If you get a flat that is under 7 lbs I recommend wrapping in foil when in the plateau and put some liquid in it like 1/2 can beef broth. Most flats I've seen that size aren't thick enough to really maintain and moisture and tail off to the end. Always try for full packers if you can as you can use the point for burnt ends but your slices, especially those above the point, will be much better then the flat.

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Thanks for the info!

Any tips for triming the silver skin?

Tried once and awwwwww heck widit! :sick:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    I have a knive like this http://www.cutleryandmore.com/victorinox-forschner-fibrox/hollow-edge-cimeter-knife-p13526 that I use to gently slide across the top of the brisket. I just kind of let the knife glide across the top. If it is sharp it will take everything on that top layer. Other wise I will cut a little under it and pick up the end of silver skin with fingers and slice real thin under it. Smoke and rub wont penetrate it but it will burn off.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Eggcelent advice. :)
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Thank You for the info.
    Somewhere I have one of these from my Black Powder daze,
    just haven't found it yet :(

GreenRiverBuffaloSkinnerKnife.jpg
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap