Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Venison Ribs

MACMAC Posts: 442
edited 10:26AM in EggHead Forum
I have to AX a question. Has anyone done venison ribs on the BGE? I just speared a deer and made the back strap into chops. So now I have rib sections left. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Have a GRRR . . .ATE Day! ! !

Comments

• When I have tried they dried out severly. There is no fat on them to keep them moist. If you are going to try it, I would reccomend covering them with bacon to add the fat.
  • MACMAC Posts: 442
    Thank you my friend.
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    maybe treat them like a rack of lamb. hot fast and as rare as you dare.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • RRPRRP Posts: 16,120
    hey old timer good to see you still stop by - hows the appraisal biz treating you?
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,168
    very little meat and lots of tallow. Deer tallow is nasty, bitter, awful tasting stuff.

Ribs generally get tossed. There is about 4-5 pounds of meat in there, but the amount of work to separate the good meat from the fat isn't worth the effort.

If you have dogs, however, they make a great dog treat. Cut them into individual ribs and cook them hot and fast until they turn jerky-like in consistency.
  • Dont waste your time--venison ribs are awful :sick:
  • PopsiclePopsicle Posts: 517
    Your best bet is to bone them out and use for chili or hamburger meat.
    Popsicle
    Willis Tx.
  • Popsicle wrote:
    Your best bet is to bone them out and use for chili or hamburger meat.
    Popsicle

x2 this is what we do. Tried the ribs once, it wasn't worth it.